Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America
The Perls Galleries in New York were founded in 1937 by Klaus Gunther Perls (b. 1912) and his brother, Franz R. Perls, after two years of running the Galerie Kaete Perls in Paris. Following their marriage, Klaus and Amelia B. Perls jointly ran the gallery, which specialized in modern French painting.
Artists in the Perls' stable included Derain, Dufy, Matisse, Modigliani, Pascin, Soutine, and Vlaminck. With a 1971 retrospective of Alexander Calder's work, the gallery singlehandedly launched the artist's career. The Perls Galleries closed in 1997.
|Search FRESCO (Frick Library Catalog)|
Search Arcade (NYARC Catalog)