Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America
|M. Knoedler & Co.||
|other cities||Paris; London|
Knoedler & Co. was established in 1857 when Michael [aka Michel] Knoedler purchased the New York branch of Goupil, with which he had worked since emigrating from Paris in 1848.
By 1889 the firm was known simply as Knoedler’s. Roland Knoedler, Michael’s son, took over the firm after the death of his father in 1878 and with Charles Carstairs opened galleries in Paris and London.
Roland Knoedler retired in 1928 and management of the firm passed to his nephew Charles Henschel, Carmen Mesmore, Charles Carstairs and his son Carroll.
In 1956 Henschel died and E. Coe Kerr and Roland Balay (Michael Knoedler’s grandson) took over. In 1971 the firm was sold to industrialist and collector Armand Hammer. Since the late 1970s, the firm has focused increasingly on contemporary art.
|Search FRESCO (Frick Library Catalog)|
Search Arcade (NYARC Catalog)