Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

Archives related to: Wunder, Richard P.

title[Material on Leon Dabo] / [compiled by Richard P. Wunder].
locationThe Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library
collection titleBiography of Leon Dabo -- Letter from Leon Dabo to Richard P. Wunder -- Soft pencil drawing owned by Richard P. Wunder -- Sun and mist (painting by Leon Dabo) -- Leon Dabo / Paul Vallorbe -- Notice of 1907 Dabo exhibition at Kohlmann's, Indianapolis -- Exposition Leon Dabo, Galerie Zak, 1938 -- Exhibition and sale of paintings by Leon Dabo, Anderson Art Co., 1906 -- Retrospective Leon Dabo 1868-1960, Graham Gallery, 1962.
Photocopies of exhibition catalogs and other brief texts about Leon Dabo. Titles in contents note supplied by cataloger in some cases.
extent[32] leaves : ill.
formatsCorrespondence Works of Art Financial Records
accessThese records are open for research under the conditions of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives access policy. Contact the Archives Department for further information at archives@frick.org
record sourcehttp://arcade.nyarc.org/record=b201881~S6
acquisition informationGift of Dr. Richard P. Wunder.
updated01/28/2019 15:35:59
....................................................................


titleRichard Wunder research material on Harriet Blackstone, 1940-1986
locationArchives of American Art
collection titlePapers assembled by art historian and museum director, Richard Wunder, relating to the painter, Harriet Blackstone (1864-1939). Included are: research correspondence (1972-1986); mss. drafts of paintings inventories; biographical material on Blackstone; a chronological index of Blackstone's works, with an alphabetical listing of sitters; an extensive photograph file of Blackstone's paintings and drawings: a drawings file, consisting of photocopies of drawings with attached registration sheets; writings on Blackstone by Wunder, Stell Andersen, and Esther Morgan McCullough (unpublished); and a catalog for a 1984 Blackstone exhibition at Bennington College.

Biographical Note:
Art historian; New York. Blackstone was a painter as well as a friend and colleague of William Merritt Chase and Thomas Wilmer Dewing.

extent2.0 linear ft.
formatsResearch Files Correspondence Manuscript Photographs
accessUnmicrofilmed; use requires an appointment and is limited to AAA's Washington, D.C. storage facility
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
acquisition informationDonated 1998 by Richard P. Wunder.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director.Records, 1958-1996.
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleForms part of:
(SIA RS00854) Departmental Records, 1958-1996.
(SIA RS00855) Chronological Files, 1992-1996.
(SIA RS00856) Administrative Records, 1982-1992.
(SIA RS00857) Capital Campaign Files, 1982-1990.
(SIA RS00858) Curatorial Files, 1978-1996.

These records consist of Director's chronological correspondence, budget files and financial reports, exhibition files, planning reports, acquisitions committee meeting minutes, Cooper-Hewitt publications (News, Programs, and Newsletter, and other brochures), and video and audio tapes (primarily news coverage and promotional productions). Directors documented in these records include Calvin S. Hathaway, 1951-1963; H. Christian Rohlfing, 1963-1968; Richard P. Wunder, 1968-1969; Lisa Taylor, 1969-1987; and Dianne H. Pilgrim, 1988-2000.

Linking Note:
For a description of the record series of which these materials form a part, refer to the "Forms part of" above.

Smithsonian Institution Archives #SIA Acc. 98-181
extent9.5 cu. ft. (9 record storage boxes) (1 document boxes)
formatsAdministrative Records Correspondence Financial Records Exhibition Files Sound Recording
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record linkhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/fa98-181.htm
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
finding aidhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/fa98-181.htm
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum.Correspondence, 1881-1981
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleForms part of:
(SIA AH00015) Agency history, 1896- .

Consists of records documenting the administration of the Museum from its establishment until its reopening in 1976 in the Carnegie Mansion during the tenures of Eleanor Garnier Hewitt, Sarah Cooper-Hewitt, and Amy Hewitt Green, Directors, 1897 until their deaths, Sarah dying in 1930; Constance P. Hare, Chairman of the Board of Directors, 1930-1938; Edwin S. Burdell, Director, 1938-1951; Calvin S. Hathaway, Director, 1951-1963; H. Christian Rohlfing, Acting Administrator, 1963-1968; Richard P. Wunder, Director, 1968-1969; and Lisa Taylor, Director, 1969-1987. Materials include incoming and outgoing correspondence with the museums, donors, contributors, art historiancs, organizations, periodicals, universities, Cooper Union, the general public, and others concerning the Museum's collections, activities, policies and procedures, loans for exhibitions, research, gifts to the museum, publications, and visits to the museums.

Organization:
Alphabetic.
Chronologic.

Form / Genre: Manuscripts

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number: SIA RS00913

Components: (SIA Acc. 84-111)
(SIA RU000267) Cooper-Hewitt Museum Records, 1881, 1895-1976.
(SIA RU000597) Cooper-Hewitt Museum Correspondence, 1968-1975.

extent36.5 cu. ft. processed holdings. 4 cu. ft. unprocessed holdings.
formatsAdministrative Records Correspondence
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCooper-Hewitt Museum Records, 1881, 1895-1976.
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleForms part of:
(SIA RS00913) Correspondence, 1881-1981.
(SIA RS00914) Subject Files, 1895-1980.

The records include correspondence, memoranda, reports, publications, notes, photographs, and forms concerning the administrative operation of the Museum, including finance, personnel, buildings and equipment, and fundraising activities; the acquisition, care, and use of the Museum's collections; exhibits, programs, and activities sponsored by the Museum; research activities of the staff and outside researchers; and Museum publications. Correspondents include staff of the parent organizations, the Cooper Union and the Smithsonian Institution, museums, art historians, donors, contributors, and the general public. A few documents deal with the activities and history of the Cooper and Hewitt families, and of the Cooper Union.

Bio / His Notes:
These records document the administration of the Museum from its establishment until its reopening in 1976 in the Carnegie Mansion. While there is some material concerning the activities of Eleanor Garnier Hewitt and Sarah Cooper Hewitt, the majority of the records deal with the management of the Museum following Sarah Cooper Hewitt's death in 1930. Records of Mary S. M. Gibson, Curator, 1904-1945; Calvin S. Hathaway, Curator, 1946-1951, and Director, 1951-1963; H. Christian Rohlfing, Acting Administrator, 1963-1968; Richard P. Wunder, Director, 1968-1969; and Lisa Suter Taylor, Director, 1969- are included.

Organization: (1) General correspondence, 1881, 1897, 1907-1973; (2) museum file, circa 1895-1971; (3) central museum files, 1968-1976, with materials from 1915; (4) Smithsonian file, 1968-1972, with records from 1951; (5) staff correspondence, 1971-1975; (6) annual reports, 1916-1968; (7) personnel records,circa 1933-1971; (8) fund-raising records.

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number:
SIA RU000267

extent19.9 linear meters.
formatsCorrespondence Ephemera Writings Photographs Personal Papers
accessUse of this record unit requires prior arrangement with the Archives staff.
record linkhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0265.htm
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
finding aidhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0265.htm
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCooper-Hewitt Museum. Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum. Committee Records, 1963-1971, with related material from 1932.
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleForms part of:
(SIA RS00860) Committee Records, 1932-1971.

These files were assembled by the management and staff of the Cooper Union Museum, and later the Cooper-Hewitt Museum, to document their activities during discussions from 1963 to 1970 about the Museum's future and its transfer from the Cooper Union to the Smithsonian Institution. The records contain correspondence and memoranda of Museum Directors Lisa Suter Taylor, Richard P. Wunder, and Calvin S. Hathaway; Administrator Christian Rohlfing; and Associate Curator of Exhibitions Edward L. Kallop reflecting their interaction with the Cooper Union administration, the Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum, the Smithsonian Institution, and other museum professionals during the period. Also included are press releases, minutes of meetings, lists of Committee members, and information about funds raised by the Committee. In addition, the records contain copies of legal and technical documents regarding the transfer.

The Museum's relationship with the Smithsonian from 1932 to 1968, and with the Smithsonian's National Collection of Fine Arts from 1965 to 1971, is documented through files containing correspondence, memoranda, newsletters, press clippings, and invitations exchanged by administrators and curators of each institution regarding museum business.

Bio / His Notes:
On June 25, 1963, the president and Board of Trustees of the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art announced their plans to close the Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration. They temporarily closed the Museum in order to study the possibilities of dispersing the collections to other New York institutions. These actions aroused much comment in the press and among art patrons.

On July 9, 1963, the Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum announced its formation to the Trustees of the Cooper Union. The Committee was chaired by Henry F. duPont and eventually numbered 260 members. The Committee raised funds to form a charitable trust, and on September 17 it offered to assume responsibility for the Museum from the Cooper Union. However, in November the Trustees accepted an offer by the American Association of Museums (AAM) to form a committee of advisors to aid in the study of the Museum's future. Shortly thereafter, the Museum was reopened to the public.

On behalf of the Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum, duPont asked the Smithsonian Institution to become responsible for the Museum. The AAM committee substantially endorsed duPont's proposal. On October 9, 1967, the Committee, the Trustees of the Cooper Union, and the Smithsonian jointly announced an agreement that the Museum and its library would be transferred to the Institution. The Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum remained in existence to maintain the Cooper Union Museum Charitable Trust.

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number: S
IA RU000633

extent0.1 linear meter.
formatsAdministrative Records Ephemera Legal Papers
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record linkhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0633.HTM
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
finding aidhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0633.HTM
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleOral history interview with Arthur Amory Houghton, 1963 July 9.
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleInterview of Arthur A. Houghton conducted by Hedy Backlin and Richard P. Wunder for the Archives of American Art.

Bio / His Notes:
Art administrator; New York, N.Y. Associated with the Cooper Union Art Museum.

Repository Loc:
Archives of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. 20560

Local Number: AAA
extent4 p. transcript.
formatsInterview Transcript
accessUse requires an appointment.
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
acquisition informationThis interview is part of the Archives' Oral History Program, started in 1958 to document the history of the visual arts in the United States, primarily through interviews with artists, historians, dealers, critics and others. Reproduction: Item is a transcript. Location of Original: Location of original tape unknown.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titlecooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Agency history, 1881- .
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleBio / His Notes:
The first Directors of the Cooper-Hewitt Museum for the Arts of Decoration, as it was originally known, were Eleanor Garnier Hewitt, Sarah Cooper-Hewitt, and Amy Hewitt Green, granddaughters of Peter Cooper. On Sarah Cooper-Hewitt's death in 1930, control passed to a Board of Directors chaired by Constance P. Hare. In 1938 Edwin S. Burdell, Director of the Cooper Union, took over direction of the Museum. This arrangement seems to have lasted for some time. Calvin S. Hathaway was appointed Director in 1951 and served until 1963. He was succeeded by Acting Administrator, H. Christian Rohlfing, 1963-1968. Richard P. Wunder was Director, 1968-1969, followed by Lisa Taylor, 1969-1987, Dianne H. Pilgrim, 1988-2000, and Paul Warwick Thompson, 2000- .

General Note:
This is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number:
sIA AH00188

Components:
(SIA RS00855) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Chronological Files, 1992-1996.
(SIA RS00856) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Administrative Records, 1982-1992.
(SIA RS00857) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Capital Campaign Files, 1982-1990.
(SIA RS00858) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Curatorial Files, 1978-1996.
(SIA RS00859) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Subject Files, 1948-1992.
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Departmental Records, 1958-1996.
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Agency history, 1896- .
formats
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
bibliographyGuide to the Smithsonian Archives, 1996
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleNational Collection of Fine Arts (U.S.). Dept. of Painting and Sculpture. Records, 1963-1969.
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleForms part of:
Agency history record. 1961-1990.
Curatorial Records, 1963-1969.

These records are the files of Wunder, Curator of the Department of Painting and Sculpture. Records include material on the National Collection of Fine Arts' lending program, 1964-1968, and conservation reports.

Bio / His Notes:
The Department of Painting and Sculpture developed as an administrative unit when Richard P. Wunder was appointed Curator, Painting and Sculpture, in FY 1964. In 1967, Painting and Sculpture became a Department. Wunder resigned in FY 1968.

Organization: General correspondence, 1963-1969.

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number:
SIA RU000317

Related to:
National Museum of American Art (U.S.). Dept. of Painting and Sculpture. Records, circa 1969-1986.
National Museum of American Art (U.S.). Dept. of Twentieth Century Painting and Sculpture. Records, circa 1961-1980.
National Collection of Fine Arts (U.S.). Dept. of Twentieth Century Painting and Sculpture. Records, 1965-1974.
National Museum of American Art (U.S.). Dept. of Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Painting and Sculpture. Records, 1965-1983.

extent0.8 linear meter.
formatsAdministrative Records Ephemera Research Files
accessUse of this record unit requires prior arrangement with the Archives staff.
record linkhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0317.htm
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
finding aidhttp://siarchives.si.edu/findingaids/FARU0317.htm
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCooper-Hewitt Museum. Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum. Agency history, 1963-1968.
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleThis is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.

Forms part of:
(SIA AH00015) Agency history, 1896- .

Bio / His Notes:
The Committee to Save the Cooper Union, a body of Cooper-Hewitt supporters independent of the Museum's trustees, grew out of a financial crisis facing the Museum. On June 25, 1963, the president and Board of Trustees of the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art announced their plans to close the Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration. They temporarily closed the Museum in order to study the possibilities of dispersing the collections to other New York institutions. These actions aroused much comment in the press and among art patrons.

On July 9, 1963, the Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum announced its formation to the Trustees of the Cooper Union. The Committee was chaired by Henry Francis DuPont and eventually numbered 260 members. The Committee raised funds to form a charitable trust, and on September 17 it offered to assume responsibility for the Museum from the Cooper Union. However, in November the Trustees accepted an offer by the American Association of Museums (AAM) to form a committee of advisors to aid in the study of the Museum's future. Shortly thereafter, the Museum was reopened to the public.

On behalf of the Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum, duPont asked the Smithsonian Institution to become responsible for the Museum. The AAM committee substantially endorsed DuPont's proposal. In fact, the Museum and the Smithsonian had had prior dealings on matters of common interest, dating back to 1932. On October 9, 1967, the Committee, the Trustees of the Cooper Union, and the Smithsonian jointly announced an agreement that the Museum and its library would be transferred to the Institution. Some members of the Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum became trustees of the new entity.

Staff of the Museum during this period included Directors Lisa Taylor, Richard P. Wunder, and Calvin S. Hathaway; Administrator H. Christian Rohlfing; and Associate Curator of Exhibitions Edward L. Kallop.

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number:
SIA AH00190

Components:
(SIA RS00860) Cooper-Hewitt Museum. Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum. Committee Records, 1932-1971.
formats
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
bibliographyGuide to the Smithsonian Archives, 1996
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Agency history, 1896- .
locationSmithsonian Institution Archives
collection titleThis is an agency history. It does not describe actual records. The Smithsonian Institution Archives uses these histories as brief accounts of the origin, development, and functions of an office or administrative unit to set that unit in its historical context. To find information on record holdings, please double-click the highlighted field "Creator/Author", which will open on a brief view of relevant records.

Bio / His Notes:
The Cooper-Hewitt Museum was established in 1896 as the Cooper Union Museum for the Arts of Decoration. Its parent organization, the Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art, was founded in 1859 by Peter Cooper as a free school for the working classes of New York City. In his original plans for Cooper Union, Peter Cooper made provisions for a museum, but these plans were not immediately carried out.

In 1895, Peter Cooper's granddaughters, Eleanor Garnier Hewitt, Sarah Cooper-Hewitt, and Amy Hewitt Green, asked the trustees of the Cooper Union for room in which to install a Museum for the Arts of Decoration, modeled after the Musee des Artes Decoratifs of Paris. The purpose of the museum was to provide the art students of Cooper Union, students of design, and working designers with study collections of the decorative arts. The trustees assigned the fourth floor of the Cooper Union's Foundation Building to the sisters, and the Museum was opened to the public in 1897.

Until the death of Sarah Cooper-Hewitt, the management of the Museum was essentially in the hands of the Hewitt sisters as Directors. Following Sarah's death in 1930, the trustees of the Cooper Union appointed a board of four Directors, with Constance P. Hare as chairman, to administer the Museum. When Edwin S. Burdell became Director of the Cooper Union in 1938, the Museum was made part of his administrative responsibility, the Board of Directors was abolished, and an Advisory Council on the Museum, responsible for matters relating to the Museum's collections, was set up. Curators and custodians of the Museum included Mary A. Peoli, 1898-1904; Mary S. M. Gibson, 1904-1945; and Calvin S. Hathaway, 1933-1963 (Assistant Curator, 1933-1946, Curator, 1946-1951, and Director, 1951-1963).
In 1963, the Cooper Union began consideration of plans to discontinue the Museum because of the financial demands of the other divisions of the Union and the absence of a close relationship between the programs of the Museum and the Art School. The announcement of the plans led to a considerable public outcry, and a Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum, headed by Henry Francis DuPont, was established. With the help of a study on the future of the Museum, prepared by a committee of the American Association of Museums, negotiations took place among the Committee, the Cooper Union, and the Smithsonian Institution leading to the Museum's transfer to the Smithsonian on July 1, 1968. The Museum was renamed the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design at the time of the transfer, and became the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Decorative Arts and Design in 1969. In 1970, the Museum moved into its present home, the Carnegie Mansion, which was renovated and reopened to the public in 1976. That year the Museum was renamed the Cooper-Hewitt Museum, the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Design; it was designated the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum in 1994.

Heads of the Museum since 1963 have been H. Christian Rohlfing, Acting Administrator, 1963-1968; Richard P. Wunder, Director, 1968-1969; Lisa Taylor, Director, 1969-1987; Dianne H. Pilgrim, Director, 1988-2000; and Paul Warwick Thompson, 2000- .

Repository Loc:
Smithsonian Institution Archives, Capital Gallery, Suite 3000, MRC 507; 600 Maryland Avenue, SW; Washington, DC 20024-2520

Local Number:
SIA AH00015

Components:
(SIA AH00188) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Director. Agency history, 1881- .
(SIA AH00189) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Deputy Director. Agency history, 1963- .
(SIA AH00191) Cooper-Hewitt Museum. Friends of the Museum of the Cooper Union. Agency history, 1934-1963.
(SIA AH00192) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Dept. of Applied Arts and Industrial Design. Agency history, 1949- .
(SIA AH00193) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Dept. of Drawings and Prints. Agency history, 1946- .
(SIA AH00195) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Library. Agency history, 1969- .
(SIA AH00196) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Dept. of Textiles. Agency history, 1904- .
(SIA AH00197) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of the Registrar. Agency history, 1969- .
(SIA AH00198) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Paper Conservation Laboratory. Agency history, 1979- .
(SIA AH00199) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Public Information Office. Agency history, 1943- .
(SIA AH00200) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Dept. of Development and Marketing. Agency history, 1976- .
(SIA RS00913) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Correspondence, 1881-1981.
(SIA RS00915) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Publicity Records, 1897-1978.
(SIA RS00914) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Subject Files, 1895-1980.
(SIA AH00269) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Masters Program in the History of Decorative Arts. Agency history, 1982- .
(SIA AH00272) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Publications Department. Agency history, 1976- .
(SIA AH00276) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Office of Public Programs. Agency history, 1976- .
(SIA AH00277) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Education Department. Agency history, 1991- .
(SIA AH00308) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Dept. of Design. Agency history, 1946- .
(SIA AH00273) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Membership Office. Agency history, 1976- .
(SIA AH00190) Cooper-Hewitt Museum. Committee to Save the Cooper Union Museum. Agency history, 1963-1968.
(SIA RS01164) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Exhibition Records, 1976-2000.
(SIA RS01111) Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum. Publications, 1976-1998.
formats
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
bibliographyGuide to the Smithsonian Archives, 1996
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleAutograph letter signed : [n.p.], to Elizabeth C. (Mrs. William B.) Kinney, Date of Writing: "Tuesday" [n.d.]
locationPierpont Morgan Library Archives
collection titleExplaining a comment he made that Mrs. Kinney found offensive.

Author/Artist:
Powers, Hiram, 1805-1873.

Dept./Collection:
Pierpont Morgan Library Dept. of Literary and Historical Manuscripts

Location:
Literary and Historical Manuscripts (LHMS)

Call Number:
Misc Artists

Record ID:
234676

Accession Number:
MA 5093
extent1 item (2 p.) ; 21 cm.
formatsCorrespondence
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://corsair.morganlibrary.org/
acquisition informationGift; Richard P. Wunder; 2001.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


title[Caricature of Joseph Dorfeuille in profile] [drawing]. Published/Created: [ca. 1828]
locationPierpont Morgan Library Archives
collection titleMedium/Support: Pen and ink.

Genres: Drawings --American --19th century.

Portraits --American --19th century.

Notes:
Believed to be the only known drawing by Powers.

Dorgeuille hired the young Powers to help run Cincinnati’s Western Museum, then owned by Dorfeuille.

Inscriptions/Markings:
Inscribed in pencil: [Illeg.] Profile of Dorfeuille of the Western Museum of Cinti. HP.

Author/Artist:
Powers, Hiram, 1805-1873.

Dept./Collection:
Pierpont Morgan Library Dept. of Literary and Historical Manuscripts

Location:
Literary and Historical Manuscripts (LHMS)

Call Number:
Misc Artists

Record ID:
234677

Accession Number:
MA 5094

extent1 drawing ; 11.5 x 20.8 cm.
formatsDrawings
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
bibliographyRichard P. Wunder. Hiram Powers, Vermont Sculptor, vol. 1, p. 46.
record sourcehttp://corsair.morganlibrary.org/
acquisition informationGift; Richard P. Wunder; 2001.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleCorrespondence with Carl Zigrosser, 1968.
locationUniversity of Pennsylvania
collection titleFound In:
Carl Zigrosser Papers, ca. 1891-1971. Folder 1926.

Location:
Rare Book & Ms Library Manuscripts

Call Number:
Ms. Coll. 6


extent3 items (4 leaves).
formatsCorrespondence
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://www.franklin.library.upenn.edu
updated11/12/2014 11:30:06
....................................................................


titleRichard P. Wunder Research Files, 1945-1989.
locationThe Frick Collection and Frick Art Reference Library
collection titleThis collection consists mainly of Richard P. Wunder's research files on 18th century Italian painter and architect, Gian Paolo Panini, and George Van Derveer Gallenkamp's research files on French Baroque painter, Hyacinthe Rigaud. Wunder received the Rigaud material as a bequest from Gallenkamp.

Materials on German-American history painter, Emmanuel Leutze, and architectural and theater drawings also figure prominently. These research topics stemmed from Wunder's personal scholarly interests and his career interests as a curator and director.

Materials include correspondence, photographs, drafts, publications, and notes that relate to the creation of exhibits, lectures, catalogs, articles, and theses.

Biographical/historical note
Richard P. Wunder served as the Curator of Drawings and Prints at Cooper Union Museum from 1955-1964.

He went on to serve as the Curator of Painting and Sculpture for the National Collection of Fine Arts, Smithsonian from 1964-1968.

Wunder returned to New York City as the Director for the Cooper-Hewitt Museum of Design from 1968-1970. During the 1970s, he taught at Middlebury College and he later became president of appraisals for Christie, Manson & Woods before retiring in 1990 to La Jolla, California.

Richard Wunder died in 2002, at the age of 79.

Cite as
Richard P. Wunder Research Files. The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives.

Location
Frick Archives


Call Number
MS.02
extent39 linear feet
formatsResearch Files Correspondence Photographs Printed Materials Writings
accessThese records are open for research under the conditions of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives access policy. Contact the Archives Department for further information at archives@frick.org
record linkhttp://www.frick.org/archives/FindingAids/RichardWunder.html
record sourcehttp://arcade.nyarc.org/record=b921752~S6
finding aidOnline and in repository
acquisition informationGift of Dr. Richard Wunder.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:10
....................................................................