Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

Archives related to: Getty, J. Paul (Jean Paul), 1892-1976

titleDuveen Brothers Records, 1876-1981, bulk 1909-1964
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThe records provide an detailed view of the Duveen Brothers business activities in London, Paris, and New York. Although the archive extends from 1876-1981, the bulk of the material dates from Joseph Duveen's tenure as president of the firm, 1909-1939, and the period from 1939 to 1964 when Edward Fowles directed the firm (with Armand Lowengard until 1943). The mass of documents, such as cables and letters, invoices, and ledger and stock books, give a day-by-day account of art dealing, business strategy, and the individuals involved

NOTE Series I (ca. 112 linear feet) contains the firm's business records. Stock books indicate where objects were sent for repair, to whom objects were sent on approbation along with the date of sale and the price realized. Invoices include receipts, sales invoices sent to clients, lists of cablegrams and shipment of stock from each branch of the business

Series II (ca. 155 linear feet) consists of papers and correspondence which broadly cover the interaction between the Duveen Brothers firm and its clients, business associates, and the public. The correspondence describes art collecting trends among museums and individuals, the availability and purchase of art, art research and authentication, and the firm's general business practices. Eleven boxes of correspondence with Bernard Berenson detail his business relationship with the firm. Also included are records of lawsuits, correspondence between branches (some written in code), correspondence with museums, papers regarding galleries, Edward Fowles' papers, papers concerning exhibitions and loans, and papers regarding major art collectors and consultants. Some records of Kleinberger Galleries (apparently the papers of Harry G. Sperling, president) form a subseries within this series, and contain correspondence

Series III (c. 127 linear feet) includes some photographs, indices, negatives, and x-rays. This series represents the Duveen Brother's stock of images. Indices are available for the majority of the negatives in cold storage

("X Book" (Berenson transaction) is the only unique Duveen document not transferred to the GRI. It has not yet been photocopied. The "X Book" details, for a limited number (about 250) of Italian paintings in which Berenson had a financial interest, precise dates of purchase and sale, primarily in the years 1910-27. There is no index.) AAM

LOCATION
Watson Library Reference

CALL NUMBER
Microfilm Cabinet
extentCa. 394 linear ft. 584 boxes, glass negative cabinets, and 18 flat file folders. 422 microfilm reels : positive ; 35mm
formatsPhotographs X rays Correspondence Financial Records Inventories
accessMicrofilm of the archive is available for use by qualified researchers. The archive is restricted because of extreme fragility
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/960015/960015.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat386523
finding aidUnpublished finding aid available in the repository and on the repository's Web site: folder level control. See the following web page digitization information: http://www.getty.edu/research/institute/development_partnerships/2011_kress.html
acquisition informationEdward Fowles donated the Duveen Brothers records to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in 1968. The Metropolitan gave the records to the Getty Research Library in 1996.
updated08/07/2018 17:29:50
....................................................................


titleJ. Paul Getty collected papers, 1892-1992.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of correspondence, financial and legal documents, photographs, books, manuscripts, articles, clippings, and ephemera, 1892-1992 and undated, (bulk 1934-1977) related to J. Paul Getty, his art collecting, personal and family relationships, and business ventures.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
J. Paul Getty was born in Minneapolis in 1892 to George and Sarah Getty. In 1914, Paul agreed to join the family business and spend a year in the oil fields of Oklahoma. A canny investment in 160 acres near Stone Bluff, Oklahoma, led to Paul’s announcement two years later that he had earned his first million dollars. By the time of the stock market crash in 1929 and George Getty’s death the following year, the family fortune was secure. George Getty left controlling interest in the company to Sarah Getty, and Paul Getty spent much of the Depression buying depressed stocks in other oil companies, contrary to his mother’s wishes. After WWII, Getty bought mineral rights of a jointly controlled Saudi Arabian/Kuwaiti plot of land between the two countries, known as the Neutral Zone. His crews, working under Getty’s son George, found oil in the Neutral Zone in 1953, and Getty’s wealth increased further. He eventually acquired Tidewater Oil, Pacific Western Oil and Mission Corporation, and became the head of a vast organization active in oil exploration, transportation, production and marketing, as well as minerals, manufacturing, real estate and agriculture.
Getty began collecting art in the 1930s, and in 1938 he made his first major purchases. Getty left California for good in 1951, leaving a Malibu estate, purchased in 1946, for the display of his art collection.
After leaving the United States in 1951, Getty lived for many years in hotel suites in Europe, until in 1960 he moved to Sutton Place, near London. It was there that J. Paul Getty died, on June 6, 1976.
extent17.31 linear feet (21 boxes, 1 flat file)
formatsCorrespondence Financial Papers Lithographs Photographs Clippings
accessOpen after Review. The records described in this finding aid are available for research but must be reviewed by Institutional Archives staff before access is granted. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/IA20009/IA20009.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat698108
finding aidFinding aid online and available in the repository: folder level control.
acquisition informationThe material in this finding aid originated in accession nos. 1986.IA.1 Boxes 78-82, 92, 114, 128 (transferred by the J. Paul Getty Museum); 1986.IA.1 Financial (transferred by the J. Paul Getty Museum); 1986.IA.22 (transferred by the Getty Center for the History of Art and the Humanities); 1986.IA.40 (transferred by the J. Paul Getty Trust); 1987.IA.5; 1987.IA.11 (transferred by the J. Paul Getty Museum); 1987.IA.16 (transferred by the J. Paul Getty Estate); 1992.IA.3; 2002.IA.2; and 2004.IA.17 (donated to the Institutional Archives by the Nethercutt Collection). Please note: The material that was originally part of accession no. 1986.IA.1 was assigned no. 1986.IA.48 in January 2006 for purposes of providing better administrative control.
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleEthel Le Vane Correspondence with Bernard Berenson, 1952-1960.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleEthel Le Vane met Bernard Berenson when she accompanied J. Paul Getty to I Tatti in the course of collaborating with him on Collector’s Choice (London 1955) and generally assisting him in art acquisitions. The collection consists of handwritten and typewritten letters recording the romance that ensued between the 87-year-old Berenson and the middle-aged Le Vane, who address each other as "Mountain Goat" and "Kitten." These love letters also offer a behind-the-scenes view of how Getty’s art collection was assembled, and the role Berenson played as authenticator, largely through Le Vane’s interventions. A number of letters detail Getty’s "pathology" from Le Vane’s point of view, especially after the book’s publication, when she finds Getty’s recompense inadequate. After 1956, Berenson’s secretary Nicky Mariano increasingly takes on the role of responding to Le Vane’s missives.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
Art advisor and literary collaborator.
extentca. 100 items (1 box).
formatsCorrespondence
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat183128
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleFrench & Company records, 1911-1998 (bulk 1950-1969)
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThe collection contains the assorted business records of French & Company that were still in the possession of Spencer A. Samuels & Company in 1999. These records include investment reports and other financial papers; business correspondence, including board minutes; and correspondence regarding professional appraisals and sales, with some photographs of art works. Several of the sales files relate to tapestries. A portion of this archive is comprised of reports and publicity photographs that document the firm’s reorganization in the context of a changing clientele and art market. One videotape documents the opening of French & Company on Madison Ave., New York City. Architectural drawings appear to be for renovations for clients, and for French & Company offices and galleries.
Nine folders of papers regarding J. Paul Getty and the J. Paul Getty Museum include copies of letters from Spencer Samuels to Getty concerning the appraisal of his art collection, and other correspondence between Mr. Getty (and J.P. Getty Museum employees) and Mr. Samuels, as well as newspaper clippings about the J. Paul Getty Museum. Six folders hold papers regarding sales to other clients. A small number of files are from Spencer A. Samuels & Company, the firm Samuels founded after selling French & Company. Monographs have been separated from the archive to the repository’s library. The bulk of the firm’s paper records were lost in a flood.
extent6 linear ft. (17 boxes, 3 flat file folders) + ADDS (1 box) 1 videocassette (VHS Dub) : sd. Original.
formatsFinancial Records Correspondence Photographs Clippings Electronic Resource
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers; contact repository for information regarding access.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/990051/990051.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat552994
finding aidhttp://archives.getty.edu:8082/cgi/f/findaid/findaid-idx?c=utf8a&idno=US::CMalG::990051
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleBernard Berenson letters received from J. Paul Getty, 1952 Oct. 2-1956 April 14.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleMr. Getty writes initially to Berenson in praise of his Aesthetics and History. They become friends, and Mr. Getty asks advice on paintings which he wishes to add to his collection.

Note:
Forms part of the Ulrich Middeldorf Papers, ca. 1925-1981, Series II, Correspondence (Special Collections, accn. no. 840024)
extent30 items.
formatsCorrespondence
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat216746
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleCollected papers for biography of J. Paul Getty, 1957-1973, undated (bulk 1957-1973)
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of correspondence, manuscripts, photographs, clippings, and ephemera, 1957-1973, 1984 and undated (bulk 1957-1973), by and about J. Paul Getty and created and collected by Ralph Hewins. Papers include a substantial body of correspondence between Hewins and Getty, as well as letters received from Allene Ashby, Penelope Kitson and other Getty family members and associates. Manuscripts comprise Hewin’s published and unpublished material about Getty, possibly assembled as an update to his The Richest American: J. Paul Getty (N.Y., 1960). These writings are mainly anecdotal in nature; some relate to Getty’s friendships and others to his business or recreational activities. A large file of photocopied international clippings chronicle Getty’s press coverage through the fifties, sixties and seventies; many of these concern the kidnapping of Getty’s grandson. Photographs include an array of informal portraits of Getty, his wives, children, friends, businesses, projects and homes.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
Ralph Hewins (d. 1984) was one of J. Paul Getty’s biographers. He was the author of J. Paul Getty, The Richest American, and a professional journalist largely concerned with the very wealthy. Hewins became a personal friend of Getty’s during the years he spent writing Getty’s biography.
extent4.27 linear feet (7 boxes, 1 flat file)
formatsCorrespondence Photographs Manuscript
accessOpen. The records described in this finding aid are available for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/IA20012/IA20012.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat698929
finding aidFinding aid available in the repository and on the repository's Web site: folder level control.
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleNewspaper clippings and miscellaneous papers about J. Paul Getty, 1934-1943.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThe collection is comprised of what was originally a scrapbook, with newspaper clippings glued to paper, and photographs, manuscripts and miscellaneous items stored unattached between its pages. The scrapbook was organized by theme, and this structure has been retained, with each section enclosed in a folder. Materials relate to Getty’s social life, his business affairs and his art collection. One handwritten manuscript by Getty is entitled "The story of my art collection." There are also photographs of art objects, and a set of dental x-rays.
extentca. 150 items.
formatsClippings
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat268932
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleArt and Real Estate Holding Companies records, 1939-1982, undated, bulk 1960-1982.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords include correspondence, memoranda, letters, agenda, minutes, reports, financial documents, legal documents, photographs, and maps related to J. Paul Getty and his art and real estate holding companies (Art Properties, Inc.; Fine Arts Corporation; Gaiola Corporation), 1939, 1960-1982 and undated. The records provide a detailed legal and financial view of the activities of these holding companies during the last decades of Getty’s life and the years immediately after his death.
extent11.05 linear feet (22 boxes, 1 flat file)
formatsCorrespondence Ephemera Legal Papers Financial Papers Inventories
accessOpen after Review. The records described in this finding aid are available for research but must be reviewed by Institutional Archives staff before access is granted. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/IA20012/IA20012.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat698694
finding aidFinding aid available online and in the repository: folder level control.
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titlePapers of Armand Hammer, circa 1508-1989.
locationLibrary of Congress
collection titleChiefly correspondence documenting Hammer’s career as a citizen diplomat (particularly to the Soviet Union), humanitarian, and art collector gathered for an exhibition honoring him at the Library of Congress in 1989. Includes letters from Yuri Andropov, Menachem Begin, Leonid Brezhnev, Jimmy Carter, Konstantin Chernenko, Dwight D. Eisenhower, J. Paul Getty, Mikail Gorbachev, Lady Bird Johnson, Lyndon B. Johnson, V. I. Lenin, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan, Eleanor Roosevelt, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Anwar Sadat, Jonas Salk, and Margaret Thatcher. Also included are a facsimile edition of the Codex Hammer (a notebook of Leonardo da Vinci) and a photograph album.
extent1.2 linear feet.
formatsCorrespondence Photographs
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://catalog.loc.gov
acquisition informationGift, Armand Hammer, 1989.
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleMiscellaneous papers relating to J. Paul Getty, ca. 1914-1983.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThis assembled collection consists of a few personal items, including one page of homilies handwritten by a young Getty; typewritten extracts from Getty's journals 1938-1974, mainly regarding art purchases; and check stubs with a page of handwritten notes recording reasons for purchases. There is a typewritten manuscript of a book about Getty by the Museum curators (J. Paul Getty as a Collector, 1982) and a synopsis and chapter of a manuscript by Alice Goldfarb Marquis (Midas: the Biography of J. Paul Getty, 1982). There are inventories of Getty's book and tapestry collections. There are photographs of family members, including Getty's mother and son George. Research files and clippings document Getty's early life in Minneapolis, and his estate, Sutton Place. One audiocassette records a talk Getty gave in Rome, 1952.
extent1 box.
formatsPersonal Papers Financial Papers Inventories Photographs Sound Recording
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:29:51
....................................................................


titleReminiscences of Jean Paul Getty : oral history, 1974.
locationColumbia University Libraries
collection titleFamily background; childhood; personal life, travels abroad; experiences in oil business; Mission Corporation and Tidewater Oil; World War II aircraft factory; general comments on business and work; art collecting; J.P. Getty Museum; tour of Sutton Place; world oil shortage.

Notes: Interviewed by Somerset S. De Chair.
extentTranscript: 332 leaves.
formatsTranscript
accessAccess: Open.
record sourcehttp://clio.cul.columbia.edu
finding aidName index available.
acquisition informationContributed by Somerset S. De Chair, Essex, England.
updated11/12/2014 11:29:53
....................................................................


titleAdministration records, 1950-1986, undated
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of correspondence, memoranda, newsletters, notes, by-laws, reports, press releases, agendas, financial documents, minutes, schedules and calendars, manuals, directories, statistics, telegrams, press clippings, photographs and other materials dating 1950 to 1986 and undated. These documents issue from the offices of a succession of museum curators, including W.R. Valentiner, Paul Wescher, Anne Jones, Burton B. Fredericksen, and Gillian Wilson, as well as from the offices of Trustee Norris Bramlett and J. Paul Getty himself. Other records also originated in the Security and Personnel departments of the museum. Subjects are varied, but include financial matters, personnel, art acquisition, remodeling and expansion of the museum, security, visitor policies and statistics, visiting scholars, museum publications and reference queries.

Arrangement:
These records are organized into 7 series: Series I. Museum correspondence, 1953-1972 ; Series II. Norris Bramlett’s records, 1950-1983, undated ; Series III. J. Paul Getty correspondence files, 1952-1975 ; Series IV. Reports and Statistics, 1954-1977 ; Series V. Burton Fredericksen weekly appointment calendars, 1968-1974 ; Series VI. Procedures manuals, ca 1960s-1975 ; Series VII. Personnel, 1975-1986

Biographical or Historical Notes:
Dr. W.R. Valentiner was the first director and curator of the J. Paul Getty Museum from 1953 to March 1, 1955, though he served on the Board of Trustees until his death in 1958. Dr. Paul Wescher became the next curator of the museum in April/May 1954 and served until 1959. Wescher never used the title "Director," only that of "Curator," and it seems likely, though the record is not specific, that J. Paul Getty himself took on the title of "Director." Following Wescher’s resignation, Norris Bramlett (a museum trustee and Getty Oil accountant who regularly acted as a moderator between J. Paul Getty and the museum) suggested to Getty that the museum did not need a full-time curator and proposed simply hiring someone with an art history background who knew the collection and proposed that the current museum secretary, Mrs. Anne Marian Jones could fulfill this role [memo from NB to JPG, April 9, 1959]. Jones submitted her resignation on February 6, 1965, effective May 31, 1965, and urged that Burton F. Fredericksen be appointed her successor. Fredericksen served as museum curator from 1965 to 1971 (prior to the hiring of Gillian Wilson as curator of decorative arts), as chief museum curator from 1972 to October 1973 (prior to the hiring of Stephen Garrett as deputy director in 1973), and as curator of paintings from October 1973 to 1984.

The J. Paul Getty Museum and the J. Paul Getty Trust date to 1953, when J. Paul Getty established the museum as a California charitable trust to house his growing art collections. The museum originally opened in 1954 with two rooms and relatively little publicity, but by August 1955 it had 6 gallery areas. In 1956 plans were begun to construct a new antiquities gallery, which was opened to the public in mid-December 1957 and in September 1960 the galleries underwent a minor remodel. The numbers of visitors increased, and though Getty stopped most purchasing in and around 1958, the museum continued to slowly expand into other parts of the Ranch House until, in the late 1960’s, he chose to build the Villa Museum.
extent13.14 linear feet (31.5 boxes)
formatsAdministrative Records
accessOpen after Review (subj. to LEGAL COUNSEL). The records described in this finding aid are available for research but must be reviewed by Institutional Archives staff and the Office of General Counsel before access is granted. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives.
record linkhttp://library.getty.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=696629
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
finding aidFinding aid available in the repository: folder level control.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleAssorted building plans, 1941-1967, undated.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of blueprints, architectural drawings, a photograph, and a manuscript, 1906, 1941-1967 and undated, that depict and describe buildings having some relationship to J. Paul Getty, the Getty family and Getty businesses.

Arrangement:
These records are organized in 3 series: Series I. Commercial buildings, 1906, 1941, 1966-1967, undated; Series II. Residential buildings, 1948, undated; Series III. Other structures, 1939-1940, undated.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
After spending a year in the oil fields of Oklahoma, J. Paul Getty returned to Los Angeles in 1915, where he encouraged his father, George, to shift the focus of the family business to the Los Angeles basin. Once established in Los Angeles, the Getty family businesses grew to include not just oil companies, but also real estate.

Cite as:
[Cite the item and series (as appropriate)], Assorted building plans, 1906, 1941-1967 and undated, J. Paul Getty. Institutional Archives, Research Library, Getty Research Institute, Finding aid no. IA20014.
extent34.43 linear feet (2 boxes, 8 flat files)
formatsDrawings Photographs Manuscript
accessOpen. The records described in this finding aid are available for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/IA20014/IA20014.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat699079
finding aidIn repository and on the repository's Web site.
acquisition informationThe items in this finding aid originated in accession nos. 1986.IA.06 and part of 1986.IA.19 (transferred by the J. Paul Getty Museum).
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titlePhotographs of San Francisco 1888, 1890, 1905-1906
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of 36 black and white photographs of San Francisco, California, 1888, 1890, 1905-1906, collected by J. Paul Getty. The photographs document the city before and after the 1906 earthquake.

Arrangement:
These records have been left in the order in which they were found.

Cite as:
[Cite the item and series (as appropriate)], Collected Photographs of San Francisco, 1888, 1890, 1905-1906, J. Paul Getty. Institutional Archives, Research Library, Getty Research Institute, Finding aid no. IA20020.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
After leaving the United States in 1951, Getty lived for many years in hotel suites in Europe, until in 1960 he moved to Sutton Place, an historic 72-room Tudor manor located 25 miles southwest of London. In 1957, Fortune magazine designated Getty as the world’s wealthiest man. J. Paul Getty died on June 6, 1976 without ever seeing his own Museum.
Getty began collecting art in the 1930s, and in 1954 he decided to turn his house in Malibu into a museum for his growing art collection. By 1968 the collection had grown so much that plans were made to build a new museum on the same property. He decided to build the museum in the form of a first-century Roman country house, based primarily on the plans of the ancient Villa dei Papiri just outside Herculaneum.
J. Paul Getty was born in Minneapolis in 1892 to George and Sarah Getty. He attended the University of Southern California; the University of California, Berkeley; and Oxford University. An investment in Oklahoma oil fields led to his earning his first million dollars in 1916. During the Depression, Getty acquired Tidewater Oil, Pacific Western Oil and Mission Corporation, and became the head of a vast organization active in oil exploration, transportation, production and marketing, as well as minerals, manufacturing, real estate and agriculture.
extent0.21 linear feet (1 binder)
formatsPhotographs
accessOpen. The records described in this finding aid are available for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat699922
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
finding aidIn repository and on repository's Web site
acquisition informationThe records described in this finding aid were transferred to the Institutional Archives by the J. Paul Getty Museum, and assigned accession no. 1990.IA.04.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleNorman Neuerburg papers regarding Getty Villa design and construction, 1966-1987, bulk 1970-1975.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThe museum, also known as the Getty Villa, was modeled after a reconstruction of the Villa of the Papyri [Villa dei Papiri] at Herculaneum. Neuerburg consulted throughout design and construction on the representation of ancient building features. Papers include correspondence, developmental designs, working drawings, and construction photographs and slides. Also included are photographic copies of Karl Weber’s 1753/1758 plan of the Villa of the Papyri.

Correspondence includes letters between Neuerburg and Getty directors and curators, architects and designers, and between Stephen Garrett, director of the Museum, and J. Paul Getty. Construction reports include job site meeting minutes, memoranda, and Stephen Garrett’s reports to J. Paul Getty (1969-1973). Material regarding Neuerburg’s lectures and writings about the J. Paul Getty Museum design comprise correspondence, notes, and manuscripts. Neuerburg collected press clippings that document the critical and popular reception of the Museum’s opening.

Architectural drawings and designs and photographs, slides, and negatives are either of design sources or document the various planning, design, and construction phases of the Getty Villa. The drawings and designs include sketches, design studies, photomechanical reproductions (bluelines and brownlines), working and design drawings.


Other Archival Location:
Norman Neuerburg papers and library; Located at: Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

Norman Neuerburg photograph collection; Located at: Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley.

Norman Neuerburg drawings for the Getty Villa; Located at: Huntington Library, Pasadena.

Other records relating to the J. Paul Getty Museum design and construction are in the Institutional Archives and Records of the J. Paul Getty Trust.
extentca. 11 lin. ft. (19 boxes, 22 flat file folders, 3 rolls)
formatsCorrespondence Drawings Writings Photographs Clippings
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/870517/870517.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat104912
finding aidIn repository and on repository's Web site
acquisition informationAcquired in 1987.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleCollected photographs and postcards of Los Angeles, ca. 1857-1940.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titlePhotographs attributed primarily to C.C. Pierce showing waterfront and downtown communities in the Los Angeles area. Included also are several images of California missions, metropolitan New York, and other miscellaneous locales.

These photographs were originally collected by Mr. Getty and are arranged into two albums, chronologically within each city grouping. Volume I consists of 84 images detailing the rich, eclectic architectural styles of resorts and "fun zones" along the Southern California coast and, to a lesser extent, urban and topographical views. Sites include Long Beach, 1900 (1); Playa del Rey, 1908 (1); Venice, 1905-1918 (7); Ocean Park, 1890-1926 (8); and Santa Monica and its northerly environs, ca. 1875-1940 (67). Volume II traces the growth and development of downtown Los Angeles out to Western Avenue between 1857-1930 in 85 images. From elsewhere in California is one photograph each of missions San Luis Rey in Oceanside, Santa Ynez in Solvang, San Antonio de Padua outside King City, as well as of the majestic sequoias in Big Trees near Santa Cruz (n.d.). The volume also contains three photographs of historic buildings in New York City, among them Delmonico’s restaurant and the Vanderbilt mansion on 5th Avenue and 58th Street (ca. 1876-1920). The collection concludes with a picture taken at a weightlifting competition (ca. 1920) and a color drawing of the Chateau de Pierrefonds, France (n.d.)
extent178 items.
formatsPhotographs
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat216743
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleRanch House records, 1921, 1945-1954, 1975-1976, 1980s, 1999-2007, undated.
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of correspondence, memoranda, reports, legal documents, brochures, clippings, architectural drawings, and photographs, 1921, 1945-1954, 1975-1976, 1980s, 1999-2001 and undated, that describe the history of, and planned and executed alterations and additions to, J. Paul Getty’s Ranch House in Malibu, California. Also included is some administrative material relating to Ranch House personnel.

Arrangement:
These records are organized in 4 series: Series I. Historic American Buildings Survey documentation, 1999, 2001; Series II. Renovation and administration records, 1954-1982; Series III. Architectural drawings, 1921, 1945-1951, 1975-1976 and undated; Series IV. Photographs, 1980s, 1999.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
Located just off the Pacific Coast Highway about a mile north of Sunset Boulevard, the 64-acre Malibu property that became the site for the original J. Paul Getty Museum was purchased by J. Paul Getty in 1945 from Claude I. Parker for the sum of $250,000. Getty made additions and major alterations to the Ranch House, including the addition of a second floor to the eastern portion, creating the house that stands on the property today.
The eastern end of the house functioned as the Getty Museum until 1974, when the Villa opened as the primary repository for Getty’s art collection. During the mid-1980s, portions of the Ranch House were altered to accommodate museum administration and conservation laboratories. The Ranch House was the subject of a 2001 Historic American Buildings Survey report.

Cite as:
[Cite the item and series (as appropriate)], J. Paul Getty Ranch House Records, 1921, 1945-1951, 1975-1976, 1999-2001 and undated. Institutional Archives, Research Library, Getty Research Institute, Finding aid no. IA20021.
extent69.66 linear feet (5 boxes, 15 flat files)
formatsCorrespondence Ephemera Legal Papers Drawings Clippings
accessOpen after Review. The records are available for research but must be reviewed by Institutional Archives staff before access is granted. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/IA20021/IA20021.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat700011
finding aidFinding aid available in the repository and on the repository's Web site: folder level control.
acquisition informationThe records in this finding aid originated in accession nos. 1986.IA.01 boxes 46, 67, 86, 129 and 138 (transferred to the Institutional Archives by the J. Paul Getty Museum); 1986.IA.19 (transferred to the Institutional Archives by the J. Paul Getty Museum); 1986.IA.20 (transferred to the Institutional Archives by the J. Paul Getty Trust); 1986.IA.27 (transferred to the Institutional Archives by Don Hull, Department of Photography, J. Paul Getty Museum); 1986.IA.39; 2003.IA.10; and 2004.IA.13 (transferred to the Institutional Archives by Barbara Whitney, J. Paul Getty Museum). Please note that the material in accession 1986.IA.01 has been assigned a new accession number, 1986.IA.50, for purposes of providing better administrative control.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleRecords, 1953-2000
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleRecords consist of minutes, resolutions, correspondence, memoranda, financial statements, legal documents, reports, and by-laws, dating 1953-2000, of the J. Paul Getty Museum and J. Paul Getty Trust. The materials document the meetings of the J. Paul Getty Museum Board of Trustees and the legal establishment of the Trust and Museum. Included are copies of reports presented to the Trustees by various program directors during the 1980s, copies of background documents on various branches, and aspects, of Trust administration presented to the Trustees in the 1990s, a scrapbook, and a calligraphic memorial resolution for J. Paul Getty.

Arrangement:
The papers are organized in four series: Series I. Trustee meeting minutes, 1954-1979, 1993-1996, 1998-2000; Series II. Legal documents, 1953-1954, 1969-1983, 1986; Series III. Reports presented to the Trustees, 1981-1985, 1987; Series IV. Scrapbooks and memorials, 1977, 1989.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
The Trust’s origins date to 1953, when Mr. Getty established the J. Paul Getty Museum as a California charitable trust to house his growing art collections. Originally a small, private institution located in Mr. Getty’s ranch house in Malibu, the museum moved to the newly constructed Villa in grounds adjacent to the ranch house in 1974. When most of his personal estate passed to the Trust in 1982, the Trustees decided that, given the size of the endowment, it should make a greater contribution to the visual arts and humanities than the museum could alone. Out of this resolve grew an expanded commitment to the arts in the general areas of scholarship, conservation, and education, which took shape in a new range of trust activities. In 1983 the trust’s name was changed from the J. Paul Getty Museum to the J. Paul Getty Trust to reflect its broader scope, with the museum becoming an operating program of the Trust.

Cite as:
[Cite the item and series (as appropriate)], Records, 1953-2000, Board of Trustees, J. Paul Getty Trust. Institutional Archives, Research Library, Getty Research Institute, Finding aid no. IA10002.

Other Archival Location:
Administration Records, 1950-1983, undated, J. Paul Getty Museum. Located in: Institutional Records and Archives, Getty Research Institute, Research Library Finding aid no. IA10003.

Trustee Records of Otto Wittmann, 1978-1990, J. Paul Getty Trust. Located in: Institutional Records and Archives, Getty Research Institute, Research Library Finding aid no. IA10007.

Records, 1991-1999, Getty Information Institute. Located in: Institutional Records and Archives, Getty Research Institute, Research Library Finding aid no. IA20006.

Getty Trustee Correspondence, 1983-2003, Kenneth N. Dayton. Located in: Institutional Records and Archives, Getty Research Institute, Research Library Finding aid no. IA20023.
extent4 linear feet (11 boxes)
formatsBusiness Papers Correspondence Memoranda Financial Records Legal Papers
accessClosed. The records described in this finding aid are closed to all except the department that created them. Access to others requires joint approval from the head of the creating program or division and the Office of General Counsel. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives. Contact Institutional Archives Manager (archives@getty.edu), Research Library, Getty Research Institute for copyright information and permission to publish.
record linkhttp://library.getty.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=696583
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleVilla construction records, 1960, 1964, 1968-1986, undated, (bulk 1971-1974)
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleCorrespondence, reports from the architects and builders, legal and financial documents, blueprints and models, photos, printed matter and oral histories, dating 1960, 1964, 1968-1986, undated (bulk 1971-1974) concern the design and construction of the J. Paul Getty Museum (Villa).

Arrangement:
The collection is organized into 10 series: Series I. Correspondence, 1968-1975; Series II. Reports, 1968-1974; Series III. Legal, 1968-1975; Series IV. Architect and consultant budgets, 1968-1975; Series V. Dinwiddie Construction Company records, 1970-1975; Series VI. Blueline prints and architectural drawings, 1964, 1968, 1970-1977, undated; Series VII. Models, 1972-1973, 1987, undated; Series VIII. Photographs, 1969-1974, 1976, undated; Series IX. Oral and written histories, 1972, 1980, 1986; Series X. Printed matter and notes, 1960, undated.

Biographical or Historical Notes:
After considering various options for expanding his ranch house in Malibu, California which had served as a private museum since 1954, J. Paul Getty decided in the fall of 1968 to build a new museum on the same property, in the form of a first-century Roman country house, based primarily on the plans of the ancient Villa dei Papiri just outside of Herculaneum.

Construction began on December 21, 1970, and the new museum opened to the public on January 16, 1974.






Cite as: [Cite the item and series (as appropriate)], Villa construction records,1960, 1964, 1968-1986, undated, (bulk 1971-1974), J. Paul Getty Museum. Institutional Records and Archives, Getty Research Institute, Research Library, Finding aid no. IA10001.
Terms of Use and Reproduction: Contact the Institutional Archives Manager (archives@getty.edu), Research Library, Getty Research Institute for copyright information and permission to publish.
extent39.5 linear feet (29 boxes, 5 oversize boxes, 3 photo albums, 6 flat file drawers)
formatsCorrespondence Reports Legal Papers Financial Records Photographs
accessOpen after Review. The records described in this finding aid are available for research but must be reviewed by Institutional Archives staff before access is granted. The J. Paul Getty Trust reserves the right to restrict access to any records held by the Institutional Archives.
record linkhttp://archives2.getty.edu:8082/xtf/view?docId=ead/IA10001/IA10001.xml;query=;brand=default
record sourcehttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat658958
finding aidFinding aid available in the repository: folder level control.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleYousuff Karsh portrait photographs of J. Paul Getty and Otto Wittmann, 1964
locationThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThese dark, moody portraits feature Getty in his home in Guildford, England, and Wittmann in his office at the Toledo Museum where he served as director.
extent33 photographic prints : b&w ; 71 x 56 cm. or smaller.
formatsPhotographs
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cat104454
record sourcehttp://library.getty.edu/vwebv/searchBasic
updated11/12/2014 11:30:02
....................................................................


titleThe Fototeca Berenson (Villa I Tatti Photo Archives)
locationBiblioteca Berenson, Villa I Tatti
collection titleThe collection contains about 300,000 photographs, many of them collected by Berenson himself from the 1880s until the time of his death in 1959. Many have notes on the back in his handwriting. Many show works of art before restoration, and others show images since destroyed.

An important section, "Homeless paintings", contains photographs of works whose current location is unknown. The photographs are almost exclusively black and white in a variety of photographic media, such as albumen, gelatine, or carbon.

About 3000 large-format photographs are stored separately. In addition, there is a considerable amount of documentary material in the form of clippings, notes and printed reproductions.

The photographs are arranged according to Berenson's original scheme, by school: Florence, Siena, Central Italy, Northern Italy, Lombardy, Venice, Southern Italy. Within each school they are arranged by artist, then by topography, followed by homeless. Paintings and drawings are arranged separately.

The main focus of the collection is on Italian painting and drawing from the mid-thirteenth to the mid-sixteenth centuries. This part of the collection continues to be developed through the acquisition of new materials and through photographic campaigns. Later periods are also represented but in smaller scale, without systematic updating.

There is also material on medieval painting, arranged topographically; manuscript illumination, arranged according to present location; archeology; Byzantine art and architecture, arranged both by artist and by location; and non-Italian art, arranged by country. Finally a section of 8000 photographs is devoted to the art of the Far East, India and Islam.

In addition to the original Berenson nucleus, collections of prints, glass plates, negatives and transparencies have entered the Fototeca.

These include the collections of Emilio Marcucci (nineteenth-century projects for the completion of various Florentine monuments), George Kaftal (representations of saints in Italian painting of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries), Henry Clifford (painting thirtheenth to seventeenth centuries), Giorgio Castelfranco (Italian art thirteenth to twentieth centuries), Giannino Marchig (restoration), Frederick Hartt (Michelangelo, Giulio Romano), Giuseppe Marchini (Italian art and stained glass), and Craig H. Smyth (Renaissance painting and drawing).

There is a small collection of micropublications and microfiche (162,386 frames): L=index photographique de l'art en France (95,648); Sotheby's Pictorial Archive - Old Master Paintings (45,472); Christie's Pictorial Archive Italian School (9,898); Christie's Pictorial Archive - New York 1977-95 Old Master Paintings & Drawings (11,368). The microfilm of the Bartsch Corpus comprises about 42,000 frames.

Notes
Most photographers not identified.

extent300,000 + photographs
formatsPhotographs Reproductions Microfilm Artist Files
accessContact Ilaria Della Monica the archivist at the Berenson Library for restrictions and appointments.
record linkhttp://via.lib.harvard.edu/via/deliver/advancedsearch?_collection=via
record sourcehttp://itatti.harvard.edu/
finding aidCurrently, there is no catalog of the photographs at Villa I Tatti. In some cases, Artist Files, can be found school (i.e. Venetian, Lombard, Northern Italy, Central Italy, etc. . .) and some are cataloged in Harvard's online catalog, HOLLIS.
acquisition informationOriginally formed by Bernard Berenson the Library continues to add to the file.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:10
....................................................................