Spanish Artists from the Fourth to the Twentieth Century: Search Help
The keyword search box (available on every page) searches all authority and alternate name fields. For more targeted searching, use the Advanced Search page.
- Typing part of the name will return all close matches (ex.: "sanch" returns "Aguirre Sánchez, Lorenzo" as well as "Aldaz y Sancho, Juan")
- On the Advanced Search page, type * in a search field to find all records containing information in that field.
- On the advanced search page, type = to find all records where a given field has no value (is empty).
- * is a wildcard that can also substitute for letters of the alphabet when searching for variant spellings (ex.: Vela*quez will return "Velázquez, Diego")
Advanced Search Fields:
The following fields can be searched on the Advanced Search page.
Name Enter all or part of the name (e.g. "Dalí, Salvador" or "Dalí").
Active After searches on the earliest year in the artist's dates. (e.g. "1700" will find all artists whose earliest recorded date is equal to or later than 1700)
Active Before searches the latest date in the artist records. (e.g. "1700" would find all of the artists working through the end of 1700) These can be combined for range dates. (e.g. Active After "1700" and Active Before "1800" would show artists from the 18th Century)
Region finds all of the artists working in a certain region of Spain. The names of the regions use English spellings. (e.g. "Seville")
Media finds all of the artists working in a medium other than painting. (e.g. "architect", "sculptor", "printmaker", "miniaturist", or "draftsman")
Notes is a word search on the notes field in the artist records. The notes field often includes information identifying the artist (e.g. "Do not confuse with Juan Bautista Espinosa") or other countries where an artist worked. (e.g. "Mexico" or "Paris")
Female check-box finds women artists.
- Find all women artists from the Golden Age
- Find Spanish artists who also worked in Mexico
- Find 19th-century Spanish architects
Go to the Advanced Search screen. Fill in the Female checkbox. In the Active After field, enter "1600". In the Active Before field, enter "1700". Click Find Records button. (n.b. use an earlier date to find artists born before 1600)
Go to the Advanced Search screen. In the Notes field, enter "Mexico". Click Find Records button.
Go to the Advanced Search screen. In the media field, enter "architect" In the Active After field, enter "1800". In the Active Before field, enter "1900". Click Find Records button. (n.b. use an earlier date to find artists born before 1800)
To browse the bibliography of works cited in the artists records, go to the Works Cited pages. Resources are sorted alphabetically by author surname for monographs; city name for exhibition and collection catalogs; or title for reference books. You may also search for authors' works by keywords in the author or title using the keyword search box that appears on the Works Cited pages.