|Stieglitz, Alfred, 1864-1946|
|type||Artist Dealer/Gallery Collector|
|city||New York City|
|other cities||Berlin, Germany; Hoboken, NJ;|
Stieglitz introduced modern European art to America by organizing the first exhibitions in the US of work by Pablo Picasso, Henri Matisse, Georges Braque, and Paul Cézanne, among others.
Stieglitz was the editor for both periodicals Camera Notes (1897-1902) and Camera Work (1903-1917).
Additionally, he supported American modernist artists such as Georgia O'Keeffe, Arthur Dove, John Marin, Marsden Hartley, and Charles Demuth.
In 1905 he opened 291 Gallery at 291 5th Ave, which closed in 1917.
In 1921, 1923, and 1924 Stieglitz held monographic exhibitions of his photographs at the Anderson Galleries in a rented space he coined Intimate Gallery.
In the fall of 1929 Stieglitz opened An American Place on the seventeenth floor of a building at 509 Madison Avenue in New York.
As executor of Stieglitz's Estate, Georgia O'Keeffe divided his art collection (approximately 1000 works of art) and donated the majority of it to six institutions: Fisk University, Nashville, Tennessee; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, New York; Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois (O’Keeffe’s alma mater); National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and the Library of Congress, Washington, D.C.
|research links||Search FRESCO (Frick Research Catalog Online)|