|city||New York City|
|other cities||Berlin, Germany; Cologne, Germany;|
Karl Nierendorf (1889-1947), an art dealer and collector in Cologne and New York, established Kairos Verlag, which published the magazine Der Strom and represented the work of Hans Hansen and the drawings of Max Ernst and others. In 1919 Nierendorf founded the Gesellschaft der Künstler, and the following year the Galerie Nierendorf in Cologne, representing the works of the Blaue Reiter, Otto Dix and Hans Cürlis. In 1923 Nierendorf took over J.B. Neumann’s gallery in Berlin after the owner’s departure for New York. In 1936 Nierendorf himself immigrated to New York, where he established the Galerie Nierendorf. Following his sudden death, the Solomon R, Guggenheim Museum purchased his collection of works by Oskar Kokoschka, Paul Klee, Marc Chagall, Lyonel Feininger and Ernst Kirchner.
Papers and records: location unknown; not at the Guggenheim.
|research links||Search FRESCO (Frick Research Catalog Online)|