|Downtown Gallery (New York, N.Y.)|
|city||New York City|
Art gallery; New York, N.Y.; Owned by Edith Gregor Halpert. Established as Our Gallery in 1926 by Edith Gregor Halpert and Berthe Kroll Goldsmith for the purpose of promoting modern American art. Downtown Gallery was an early promoter of American folk art. The gallery name changed to Downtown Gallery in 1927, and Halpert became its sole owner in 1935. Subsidiary galleries operated by Downtown Gallery on its premises were: The Daylight Gallery (opened 1930), American Folk Art Gallery (established with Holger Cahill in 1929, opened 1931), the John Marin Room (opened 1950), and the Ground-Floor Room (opened 1951). After Halpert's death in 1970, Downtown Gallery continued limited operation until 1973, under the direction of her niece, Nathaly Baum.
|research links||Search FRESCO (Frick Research Catalog Online)|