|Sterner, Marie (Marie Walther)|
|city||New York City|
Marie Sterner Lintott, née Marie Georgiana Walther, was the founder and operator of the Marie Sterner Gallery (1920-1950), and the the Art Patrons of America.
She joined the firm of Knoedler & Co. in 1912, before establishing her own gallery at 210 East 57th Street. In her gallery, Sterner exhibited work by, among others, Eli Nadelman, Sandy Calder, Isamu Naguchi, Rockwell Kent, George Bellows, Jo Mielziner, Ediy Legrand, Serge Ferat, Donald Oenslager, and Edward Bernard Lintott (1875-1951, second husband married in 1931).
Lintott’s gallery was purchase by Leonard Clayton and later became the Clayton-Liberatore Gallery. Her collection of approximately 300 American and European paintings, water-colors, and drawings was purchased by Lawrence Rill Schumann (1905-1975) of Boston, MA. The collection became the basis for the Lawrence Rill Schumann Art Foundation.
She married Albert Edward Sterner (1863-1946) in 1894, they had two children: Harold Sterner (1895-), and Mary Olivia (1904-; later Mrs. LeRoy Chadbourne).
|research links||Search FRESCO (Frick Research Catalog Online)|