|Cantor, B. Gerald, 1916-1996|
|other cities||New York, NY;|
Collector, business executive, philanthropist and owner of Rodin collection.
Over fifty years of collecting, Mr. Cantor assembled the world's largest and most comprehensive private collection of works by Rodin — approximately 750 large-scale and small-scale sculptures, plus prints, drawings, photographs, and Rodin memorabilia. He also collected paintings and sculpture by Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, and Expressionist artists.
In 1974 Mr. Cantor donated fifty-two Rodin sculptures and four drawings to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, which established the B. Gerald Cantor Sculpture Garden. The Cantors also provided funding here for the creation of the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Plaza in 1986, the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Gallery in 1988, and for the museum's building campaign that same year. Mr. Cantor also gave LACMA more than forty-five paintings and sculptures by nineteenth- and twentieth-century artists, including Max Beckmann, Ludwig Kirchner, and Alfred Sisley. In 1987, with others he sponsored LACMA's showing of the exhibition "Treasures of the Holy Land." In 1990 Mr. Cantor supported the museum's twenty-fifth anniversary and its acquisition fund for nineteenth-century sculpture. During the summer of 1995 his company, Cantor Fitzgerald, in celebration of its fiftieth anniversary, sponsored the exhibition "Gustave Caillebotte: Urban Impressionist" at LACMA. Mr. and Mrs. Cantor also contributed to another important Los Angeles cultural resource, the Music Center.
|research links||Search FRESCO (Frick Research Catalog Online)|