Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

G. Cramer Oude Kunst

printer
print view
role Dealer/Gallery
dates 1881-2007
city The Hague
other citiesBerlin, Germany;
countryThe Netherlands
gender n/a
historical notes The gallery of the art dealers Gustav Cramer (1881-1961) and his son Hans Max Cramer (1920-2012) was known for dealing in old master paintings during the 20th century in Europe. The gallery first opened in Berlin in 1933.

In order to escape the Nazi regime the family moved to the Netherlands and opened the G. Cramer Oude Kunst gallery on Javastraat 38 in The Hague in 1938. Hans Max Cramer ran the business after the death of his father in 1961.

The gallery represented important private collections in the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland. Their clientele included, among others, Norton Simon (1907-1993), Edward W. Carter (1911-1996), Baron Thyssen-Bornemisza (1921-2002), The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the J. Paul Getty Museum, the National Gallery, London, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the National Gallery of Art, Washington, the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, and the Toledo Art Museum.
decades
of activity
1880-1890
1890-1900
1900-1910
1910-1920
1920-1930
1930-1940
1940-1950
1950-1960
1960-1970
1970-1980
emailh.m.cramer@planet.nl
phone31 70 363 07 58
updated 02/07/2020 18:20:53
bibliographic
search
Search Frick Art Reference Library Catalog
Search Photoarchive
Search Worldcat
Archive Location Collection Title Links
The Getty Research Institute
Research Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
G. Cramer Oude Kunst gallery records 1901-1998 (bulk 1938-1998).

see details...