Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

"291" (Gallery)

printer
print view
role Dealer/Gallery
dates 1905-1917
city New York City
stateNY
gender n/a
historical notes 291 opened in 1905, at 291 Fifth Avenue, and closed in 1917. The gallery promoted artists, among others, Max Weber, John Marin, Charles Demuth, Arthur Dove, Marden Hartley, Georgia O'Keeffe, Paul Strand, Edward Steichen, and the work of the galleries owner, Alfred Stieglitz.

291 introduced Americans to the Modernism of painting, sculpture, and especially photography in the work of Stieglitz himself, and his partner, Edward Steichen.
decades
of activity
1900-1910
1910-1920
updated 09/12/2019 15:30:51
bibliographic
search
Search Frick Art Reference Library Catalog
Search Photoarchive
Search Worldcat
Archive Location Collection Title Links
The Museum of Modern Art
Library and Archives
Edward Steichen Archive, [ca. 1900]-1986, [ca. 1900]-1960 (bulk) see details...
The Getty Research Institute
Research Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Marius de Zayas Research Collection for How, When and Why Modern Art Came to New York, ca. 1910-1936. see details...
Yale University Library
Manuscripts and Archives
Alfred Stieglitz / Georgia O'Keeffe Archive see details...
Archives of American Art
Victor Building, Suite 2200
Arthur B. Carles letter to Alfred Stieglitz, [ca. 1911]. see details...
The Getty Research Institute
Research Libraries, Archives and Special Collections
Alfred Stieglitz notes, 1915 Nov. 15. see details...
Whitney Museum of American Art
The Frances Mulhall Achilles Library, Archives
How, When and Why Modern Art Came to New York, 1996 see details...

see also:
Stieglitz, Alfred, 1864-1946
Steichen, Edward, 1879-1973