Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

Braunstein/Quay Gallery

print view
role Dealer/Gallery
dates 1961-1997
city San Francisco
sex n/a
historical notes The Braunstein/Quay Gallery had its beginnings as the 32 Main St. Gallery, Tiburon, Calif., which opened in 1961 by Ruth Braunstein.

The name was changed to Quay Gallery the same year. In 1965, it moved to 2 Jerome St., San Francisco and in 1974 to 560 Sutter St. In 1975 the Quay Ceramics Gallery was opened next door by Braunstein, and her partners Rena Bransten and Sylvia Brown. In 1976 the Quay Gallery's name changed to Ruth Braunstein's Quay Gallery, in 1978 to Braunstein/Quay Gallery, and in 1979 to Braunstein Gallery, when it moved to 254 Sutter St., changing its name back to the Braunstein/Quay Gallery in the 1980s.
of activity
updated 03/22/2024 12:09:28
Search Frick Art Reference Library Catalog
Search Photoarchive
Search Worldcat
Search Library of Congress Name Authority File (LCNAF)
Search Virtual International Authority File (VIAF)
Search Wikidata Entry
Archives/Repository Collection Title Collection Details
Archives of American Art
Victor Building, Suite 2200
Braunstein/Quay Gallery records, 1961-1997. see details...
Archives of American Art
Victor Building, Suite 2200
Interview with Richard Shaw [videorecording] / Archives of American Art; Paul J. Karlstrom, interviewer; David Bolt, director
see details...

see also:
Braunstein, Ruth, 1923-