Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

Newman Galleries (Philadelphia, Pa.)

printer
print view
role Dealer/Gallery
dates 1860-
city Philadelphia
statePA
gender n/a
historical notes Art gallery that was established in 1865, by George and Adolph Newman at 806 Market Street. The gallery was forced to move in 1893, and the brothers dissolved the partnership; George opened a gallery at 1622 Chestnut Street and Adolph opened the Adolph Newman and Son Gallery at 704 Chestnut Street with his son Walter.

Adolph and Walter B. Newman were forced to move again in 1918 to 1732 Chestnut Street. In 1920 Adolph retired and left the gallery to his son and to his grandson Walter Andrew Newman. The depression necessitated the move in 1935 to a location at 1625 Walnut Street, and in the 1960s a frame and repair shop was added to the business at 2306 South Street.

decades
of activity
1860-1870
1870-1880
1880-1890
1890-1900
1900-1910
1910-1920
1920-1930
1930-1940
1940-1950
1950-1960
websitehttp://www.newmangalleries1865.com/
emailinfo@newmangalleries1865.com
phone215-563-1779
updated 02/07/2020 18:20:54
bibliographic
search
Search Frick Art Reference Library Catalog
Search Photoarchive
Search Worldcat
Archive Location Collection Title Links
Archives of American Art
Victor Building, Suite 2200
Newman Galleries photographs and printed material, [ca. 1860-1965]. see details...