Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

Archives related to: Ford, Eleanor, 1896-

titlePersonal for Henry Ford photographs subseries, 1918-1950.
repositoryBenson Ford Research Center
collection titleThe series is comprised of photoprints and negatives, primarily relating to Henry Ford's personal life and activities, arranged sequentially by negative number. Access is best achieved through two subject card files available in the Benson Ford Research Center reading room.

The first indexes general subjects alphabetically and the second indexes antiques. A negative log, which provides a brief description and date for each image is also available. Especially well represented are Henry's antiquarian interests, including images of towns and buldings and antique objects. Many of the photographed objects eventually became part of the collections of The Edison Institute (now The Henry Ford), which is also well documented in early photographs depicting the evolution of Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. There are also images of the residences and gardens of Henry and Clara Ford as well as the residences of Edsel and Eleanor Ford; portraits of Henry Ford, Edsel Ford, and other family members; portraits of Ford executives and visitors; and photographs of the camping experiences of Henry Ford with his "vagabond" friends Thomas Edison, John Burroughs, and Harvey Firestone.

In addition there is extensive visual documentation of Ford Motor Company related activities at Ford Farms, Henry Ford Trade School, and Ford Village Industries. Other topics include lumbering, early aviation, and early applications of electricity. Researchers should note that many of these images were copied and filed in the Photographic Prints Vertical File, Accession 1660, under various subject headings.

General Note:
Glass plate negatives and film negatives not included in extent.

Linked Bibs:
Photographs for Henry Ford series.

Engineering Photographic Department (Ford Motor Company) photographs subgroup.

Ford Motor Company photographs collection.

Location
Benson Ford Research Center

Collection
Archival collection

Call No.
Personal for Henry Ford photographs subseries


extent87.6 cubic ft. : photographic prints on linen, b&w; approx. 8 in. x 10 in.
formatsPhotographs
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://catalog.dalnet.lib.mi.us/
updated09/12/2019 15:29:32
....................................................................


titleAudit reports series, 1928-1946.
repositoryBenson Ford Research Center
collection titleThe Audit reports series, 1928-1946 (0.4 cubic ft.), Acc. 517, is made up of audit reports, correspondence, interdepartmental memoranda (mainly between the Auditing Department and the Accounting Department), and working papers.

Subjects and departments covered by the audits include Purchasing Department handling of government contracts, 1945; Dearborn branches and offices, in particular the Dearborn Engineering Laboratory, 1933-1942; domestic branches, 1941-1943; foreign branches, 1928-1946; Henry Ford's Richmond Hill Plantation residence, including expenses, wages paid, and account receivable for rents, 1946; audit summaries for accounts of Edsel B. Ford and other Ford family members, including Mrs. Edsel B. (Eleanor Clay) Ford, Henry Ford II, and Benson Ford, 1942-1943; Rouge River Plant departments, 1940-1946; tractor sales, including a history of the working relationship between Ford Motor Company and Harry Ferguson, Inc. (Sherman-Ferguson Manufacturing Corporation), 1946; and Ford Motor Company subsidiaries, 1933-1946.

Subsidiaries audited include the Airplane Plant (Airplane Divison), 1933; Dearborn Inn, 1944; Edison Institute, 1945; Children's House, 1944; Henry Ford Trade School, 1940, 1945; Lenawee Co-operative Industries and Washtenaw Co-operative Industries farms, 1934-1935; Oakwood Realty Company, 1946; Springwells Park Subdivision, 1940; Wayside Inn, 1946; and White Hart Inn, 1940.

There are also files on rental records including the Blueberry Mine in Marquette County, 1945, and correspondence regarding the Universal Credit Corporation, 1933. Files are arranged alphabetically by subject.

Linked Bibs:
Auditing Department records subgroup.
Ford Motor Company Financial records collection.

Location
Benson Ford Research Center

Collection
Archival collection

Call No.
Audit Reports series

extent0.4 cubic ft.
formatsFinancial Records Correspondence Ephemera Legal Papers
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://catalog.dalnet.lib.mi.us/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:07
....................................................................


titleWilliam C. McMillan picture collection, ca. 1920-1945.
repositoryBenson Ford Research Center
collection titleThe collection is comprised of ten loose-leaf binder photograph albums. Three are entitled Ford Close-ups.

Two of the Ford Close-ups albums feature Edsel Ford; one has Henry Ford inscribed in the lower right corner. The latter is comprised of sixty-four photographic caricatures of Henry, Edsel, and key Ford Motor Company executives and associates (mostly unidentified); the others are photographs of varying sizes and quality, some of which have been trimmed.

Also included is an Edsel Bryant Ford chronology through 1943. About half of the photographs have an associated caption. Seven albums are entitled Strictly Personal and are numbered 20, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, and 30. Four of the Strictly Personal albums have Edsel Ford inscribed on the lower right corner of the cover; the fifth is not so identified but also primarily contains images of Edsel, half of which are captioned.

Two Strictly Personal albums (20 and 26) are inscribed Mrs. Henry Ford. All of the albums feature Henry, Clara and Edsel Ford as they appeared in public both formally and informally.

Some of the images reflect roles and functions relating to the Ford Motor Company; others show the Fords with various family members and friends, mostly at community events. There are a significant number of photographs of Henry and Edsel together.



Location
Benson Ford Research Center

Collection
Archival collection

Call No.
William C. McMillan picture collection
extent1.6 cubic ft.
formatsPhotographs
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://catalog.dalnet.lib.mi.us/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:07
....................................................................


titlePhotographic vertical file series, 1890-1980 (bulk 1920-1970)
repositoryBenson Ford Research Center
collection titleThe series is comprised of two subseries.

The first and largest is the Photographic prints subseries, 1890-1980 (65.6 cubic ft.). Arranged alphabetically by subject followed by a Automobile Racing photographs addendum, it is the most comprehensive and best first point of departure for locating photographs relating to all aspects of Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company.

Incorporated into the Photographic Vertical File are the thousands of images found in Fair Lane; photographs found among Henry Ford's papers; copies of most frequently requested images from other collections in the archives; and newly discovered or collected images.

The series includes vintage photographs in various formats as well as copy photoprints. Among the subjects are Henry Ford and his family from 1890 to 1955; a broad selection of Ford Motor Company products, buildings, activities, and subsidiaries; and a sampling of automotive industry images other than Ford Motor Company.

The series also depicts Henry Ford's broad range of interests, particularly in historic preservation, and many of his friends, including John Burroughs, Harvey Firestone, Thomas Edison, and George Washington Carver. Detroit and Dearborn, Michigan are well documented, as well as cities and towns where Henry Ford's village industries and Ford Motor Company plants and branches were located. There are also photographs representing the social impact of automobiles; world fairs and automobile exhibitions and shows; copies of advertisements; documentation of defense production in both world wars; images of early aviation, Ford ore boats and freighters, Ford dealerships, and year by year files of Ford and Lincoln cars and trucks from 1903 into the 1950s.

The Photographic prints subseries includes an Addendum entitled Automobile Racing. It includes photographs of courses, drivers, race cars, road races, and transcontinental races. The second subseries, Copied photographs and documents subseries, 1890-1980 (41.2 cubic ft.), is comprised of negatives and prints of copies of documents and photographs.

The copies of documents, known as the "D" file, are photographic copies of letters, telegrams, jottings, legal papers, advertisements and other material relating to Henry Ford and the Ford Motor Company as they were needed for publication or reference use. Primarily a negative file, there are some prints filed with the negatives. The copied photographs, known as the "O" file, are negatives and reproductions of historical photographs reproduced from both internal and external sources.

Linked Bibs:
Archives (Ford Motor Company) photographs subgroup.
Ford Motor Company photographs collection.

Location
Benson Ford Research Center

Collection
Archival collection

Call No.
Photographic Vertical File series
extent65.6 cubic ft.
formatsPhotographs
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://catalog.dalnet.lib.mi.us/
updated11/12/2014 11:30:07
....................................................................


titleThe Fototeca Berenson (Villa I Tatti Photo Archives)
repositoryBiblioteca Berenson, Villa I Tatti
collection titleThe collection contains about 300,000 photographs, many of them collected by Berenson himself from the 1880s until the time of his death in 1959. Many have notes on the back in his handwriting. Many show works of art before restoration, and others show images since destroyed.

An important section, "Homeless paintings", contains photographs of works whose current location is unknown. The photographs are almost exclusively black and white in a variety of photographic media, such as albumen, gelatine, or carbon.

About 3000 large-format photographs are stored separately. In addition, there is a considerable amount of documentary material in the form of clippings, notes and printed reproductions.

The photographs are arranged according to Berenson's original scheme, by school: Florence, Siena, Central Italy, Northern Italy, Lombardy, Venice, Southern Italy. Within each school they are arranged by artist, then by topography, followed by homeless. Paintings and drawings are arranged separately.

The main focus of the collection is on Italian painting and drawing from the mid-thirteenth to the mid-sixteenth centuries. This part of the collection continues to be developed through the acquisition of new materials and through photographic campaigns. Later periods are also represented but in smaller scale, without systematic updating.

There is also material on medieval painting, arranged topographically; manuscript illumination, arranged according to present location; archeology; Byzantine art and architecture, arranged both by artist and by location; and non-Italian art, arranged by country. Finally a section of 8000 photographs is devoted to the art of the Far East, India and Islam.

In addition to the original Berenson nucleus, collections of prints, glass plates, negatives and transparencies have entered the Fototeca.

These include the collections of Emilio Marcucci (nineteenth-century projects for the completion of various Florentine monuments), George Kaftal (representations of saints in Italian painting of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries), Henry Clifford (painting thirtheenth to seventeenth centuries), Giorgio Castelfranco (Italian art thirteenth to twentieth centuries), Giannino Marchig (restoration), Frederick Hartt (Michelangelo, Giulio Romano), Giuseppe Marchini (Italian art and stained glass), and Craig H. Smyth (Renaissance painting and drawing).

There is a small collection of micropublications and microfiche (162,386 frames): L=index photographique de l'art en France (95,648); Sotheby's Pictorial Archive - Old Master Paintings (45,472); Christie's Pictorial Archive Italian School (9,898); Christie's Pictorial Archive - New York 1977-95 Old Master Paintings & Drawings (11,368). The microfilm of the Bartsch Corpus comprises about 42,000 frames.

Notes
Most photographers not identified.

extent300,000 + photographs
formatsPhotographs Reproductions Microfilm Artist Files
accessContact Ilaria Della Monica the archivist at the Berenson Library for restrictions and appointments.
record linkhttp://via.lib.harvard.edu/via/deliver/advancedsearch?_collection=via
record sourcehttp://itatti.harvard.edu/
finding aidCurrently, there is no catalog of the photographs at Villa I Tatti. In some cases, Artist Files, can be found school (i.e. Venetian, Lombard, Northern Italy, Central Italy, etc. . .) and some are cataloged in Harvard's online catalog, HOLLIS.
acquisition informationOriginally formed by Bernard Berenson the Library continues to add to the file.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:10
....................................................................


titleWeyhe Gallery records, 1919-1994
repositoryArchives of American Art
collection titlePrimarily incoming correspondence (incomplete) from curators, dealers, and museums to Carl Zigrosser and E. Wehye, relating to the sale and exhibition of the gallery's prints. Alphabet letters A-H and T-V are missing from years 1931-1941; for 1942, letters O and X-Z are missing. Also included are receipts, 1940-1947, photocopies of eight scrapbooks/ exhibition catalogs, 1919-1951, and two volumes of photocopied catalogs, 1932-1951.

Of note are eight letters exchanged between Zigrosser and Los Angeles lithographer, Lyndon Kistler, between 1934 and 1939. Kistler's letters to Zigrosser mainly concern his desire to exhibit in New York his hand-printed lithographs of the work of Jean Charlot, Warren Newcombe,Elise Seeds, Beatrice Wood, Paul Sample, and Alexander Archipenko, among others.

Biogrpahical Note:
Weyhe Gallery, est.1919 by Erhard Weyhe (1883-1972), was one of the first galleries in New York to specialize in prints.

The Wehye Book store, also owned by Erhard Weyhe, was located in the same location at 794 Lexington Avenue. Carl Zigrosser was gallery director from 1919 until 1940.

Gertrude Dennis, Weyhe's daughter, operated the gallery and book store after Erhard's death in 1972 until her death in 2003.

Deborah Kiley, Weyhe's granddaughter, is the current owner of the Weyhe Gallery and the book store (currently Weyhe Art Books) now located in Mt. Desert, Maine


extent13.4 linear ft.
formatsCorrespondence Scrapbooks Exhibition Catalogs Financial Records Catalogs
accessUnmicrofilmed; use requires an appointment.
record linkhttp://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/weyhe-gallery-records-6057
record sourcehttp://www.siris.si.edu/
finding aidBox inventory available.
acquisition informationDonated 1996 and 2012 by the Weyhe Gallery via owners Gertrude Weyhe Dennis and Deborah Weyhe Kiley.
updated12/29/2014 17:05:06
....................................................................