Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America
Archives related to: Mellon, Paul, Mrs.
|title||Adam Peiperl papers, 1968-2007.||repository||Archives of American Art|
|collection title||Letters, photographs, loan agreements, printed material, and miscellany relating to Adam Peiperl's career as a kinetic artist. |
Letters are from museums, galleries, and organizations and include e-mails. Included are one letter each from Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and Lynda Johnson Robb. Photographs are of Peiperl with Frank Getlein, J. Carter Brown and Lynda Johnson Robb, Victor Borge, and Bunny Mellon, Pierre Levai and Marilla Beth Waesche with Peiperl's work installed at the Marlborough Gallery, New York City.
Printed material includes magazine articles, newspaper clippings, and brochures.
Adam Peiperl, b. 1935, is a kinetic light sculptor, photographer, and videographer who creates sculptures by using polarized light. He also uses digital technology to create his art.
|extent||0.4 linear feet.|
|formats||Correspondence Photographs Administrative Records Printed Materials Ephemera|
|access||se of original papers requires an appointment and is limited to the Archives' Washington, D.C., Research Center. Contact Reference Services for more information.|
|acquisition information||Donated in 2008 by Adam Peiperl.|
|title||Parish-Hadley Associates, Inc. collection, [196-]-1994.||repository||Cooper-Hewitt Design Archive|
|collection title||The Parish-Hadley Collection documents the history of the New York City design firm from 1962-1994. Particular emphasis is on Sister Parish (Mrs. Henry Parish II) and Albert Hadley. |
Magazine clippings from various publications make up the majority of the collection as well as gossip column excerpts about Parish-Hadley or infamous clients. The slides date mostly from the 1980s-1990s and depict some but not all Parish-Hadley projects
Dorothy "Sister" Parish born Dorothy May Kinnicutt in Morristown, New Jersey. Sister is a nickname given to her by her three brothers. She graduated from the Foxcroft School for Girls, an elite Virginia boarding school. She began her career in 1933. It was the year of the "Crash" and financial necessity prompted her to set up shop, "Mrs. Henry Parish II Interiors", in Far Hills, New Jersey, where she began decorating houses for friends. She had no formal training but attributes her taste and instinct for quality to European travel, exposure to art, and, most of all to her upbringing.
Alone, and then together with her partner, Albert Hadley, who joined the firm in 1962, she has decorated houses of every size and kind throughout the world. It is said that she represents the "undecorated" look; Vogue magazine calls her "the most famous of all living American women interior designers whose ideas have influenced life-styles all over America."
Sister Parish--grande dame of American decor--shaped the American domestic aesthetic of various Kennedys, Astors, Paleys, and Whitneys. Parish-Hadley was the upper-crust New York firm formed by Mrs. Parish and the Tennessee-born decorator Albert Hadley
Mr. Hadley, a graduate of and former teacher at Parsons School of Design in both New York and Paris, established his own design firm before joining McMillen, Inc. He began his legendary association with Mrs. Henry Parish II in 1962, when they co-founded the distinguished design firm of Parish-Hadley Associates, which grew to encompass 25 associates and staff members
Described by The New York Times as "the most illustrious American decorating team of the 20th century," Parish-Hadley's client register includes names of the Kennedys, Rockefellers, Astors, Gettys, Whitneys and Vanderbilts. Parish's cozy, yet dignified style, combined with Hadley's Modernism and attention to architectural space, has led to Parish-Hadley's constant surviving achievement
The partnership lasted until the death of Sister Parish in 1994. After closing Parish-Hadley in late 1999, Hadley opened a new office and continues collaborating with clients toward his goal to "help them realize more than they thought possible within the framework of their own tastes." His impressive roster of distinguished clients includes former Vice President and Mrs. Albert Gore, Diane Sawyer and Mike Nichols, former Ambassador and Mrs. Henry Grunwald and Mrs. Vincent Astor
He began his legendary association with Mrs. Henry Parish II in 1962, when they co-founded the distinguished design firm of Parish-Hadley Associates, which grew to encompass 25 associates and staff members./ Described by The New York Times as "the most illustrious American decorating team of the 20th century," Parish-Hadley's client register includes names of the Kennedys, Rockefellers, Astors, Gettys, Whitneys and Vanderbilts. Parish's cozy, yet dignified style, combined with Hadley's Modernism and attention to architectural space, has led to Parish-Hadley's constant surviving achievement.
The partnership lasted until the death of Sister Parish in 1994. After closing Parish-Hadley in late 1999, Hadley opened a new office and continues collaborating with clients toward his goal to "help them realize more than they thought possible within the framework of their own tastes."
His impressive roster of distinguished clients includes former Vice President and Mrs. Albert Gore, Diane Sawyer and Mike Nichols, former Ambassador and Mrs. Henry Grunwald and Mrs. Vincent Astor.
Materials are arranged in 13 albums Organized by album title. The albums contain magazine and newspaper clippings, sketches, templates, speeches, and press releases, project slides. Arranged alphabetically by client, or in lieu of a client name, by project name (There is some overlap in the albums and the album labels are not accurate).
|extent||13 albums. 11 boxes.|
|formats||Business Papers Clippings Slides|
|access||Unprocessed; access is limited; Permission of Library Director required.|
|finding aid||Contact repository for further details.|
|title||Perry Wheeler Collection, ca. 1880-1984||repository||Archives of American Gardens|
|collection title||The Perry Wheeler papers include photographic images, plans, drawings, client correspondence, plant lists, invoices, invitations, certificates, awards, and newspaper and magazine clippings. |
The bulk of the collection and most of the professional papers date from about 1950 to 1965. Noteworthy correspondents include Mrs. John F. Kennedy, Ladybird Johnson, Mr. and Mrs. Paul Mellon, and Margaret Truman.
Of particular note are documents for Wheeler's public design work, including the White House grounds, Washington Cathedral, U. S. National Arboretum, President John F. Kennedy's gravesite in Arlington National Cemetery, and the British and Cambodian Embassies in Washington, DC.
There are also over 3,000 35 mm. slides dating from the 1940s to the early 1970s that document Wheeler's personal travels to Europe, Africa, South America, the Caribbean, Canada, and the American West
Perry Hunt Wheeler (1913-1989), a Georgia native, began his higher education at Emory University, going on to graduate from the University of Georgia with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 1937.
Immediately afterward Wheeler enrolled in Harvard University from which he earned a graduate degree in Landscape Architecture in 1938. After graduation Wheeler collaborated on garden projects in Atlanta, Georgia, with fellow landscape enthusiast and friend Helen Clarke. He also worked for the Office of Strategic Services doing camouflage planning during WWII. He went on to establish his own landscape architecture practice in Washington, D.C., and designed in the area from 1948 to 1979.
Wheeler is best known for his work on private gardens in Washington's Georgetown neighborhood. He frequently employed the use of intricate brickwork, low-maintenance planting, and simple water features in creating his charming and functional designs.
His most noteworthy commissions outside the private realm include collaboration with Bunny Mellon on the White House Rose Garden, designing a Garden Club of America-commissioned gazebo and its surroundings for the U.S. National Arboretum, and plantings for the National Cathedral and President John F. Kennedy's gravesite in the Arlington National Cemetery.
Cite as: Smithsonian Institution, Archives of American Gardens, Perry H. Wheeler Collection
|extent||25.75 cubic ft|
|formats||Business Papers Correspondence Subject Files Financial Records Clippings|
|access||Contact repository, the Archives of American Gardens, for further details|