Archives Directory for the History of Collecting in America

Archives related to: Gould, Jay, 1836-1892

titleHenry Mitchell MacCracken administrative records, 1884-1910.
repositoryNew York University
collection titleIs Part Of: New York University. Chancellor/President's Office. Records.

The records include correspondence, reports, minutes, financial records, speeches, printed material, notebooks, architectural plans and drawings, and newspaper clippings pertaining to MacCracken's administrative career at New York University.

All of the major changes and interests of the Univesity in this era are represented in the records, as are the more routine administrative concerns of the office.

Principle correspondents include Clarence D. Ashley, Thomas M. Balliet, Herman M. Biggs, Archibald L. Bouton, Andrew Carnegie, Anna P. Draper, Charles W. Eliot, Frank Jay Gould, Helen Miller Gould, Jay Gould, Charles W. Haskins, Robert MacDougall, Francis Peabody, John D. Rockefeller, Jacob Schiff, Edward R. Shaw, Ernest G. Sihler, Charles H. Snow, James Stokes, Josiah Strong, Samuel Weir, Stanford White, and Alfred Zucker.

Bio/History:
Henry M. MacCracken was a Presbyterian minister and served as chancellor of Western University of Pennsylvania (University of Pittsburgh), 1881-1884, before joining the faculty of New York University as Professor of Philosophy in 1884. The following year he was appointed vice chancellor. He became chancellor in 1891 and served as such until 1910.

The MacCracken administration was a time of tremendous growth and change at New York University. The Graduate School was opened in 1886, the School of Pedagogy in 1890, the Women's Advisory Committee was established in 1890, and the School of Law was substantially upgraded during this period. The Medical department merged with Bellevue Hospital Medical College in 1898, the School of Commerce, Accounts and Finance was established in 1900; the North American Veterinary College was acquired; and the College of Engineering became the School of Applied Sciences.

In addition, the land for the University Heights campus in the Bronx was acquired and several buildings constructed including Gould Memorial Library and the Hall of Fame, designed by the architect Stanford White. At Washington Square, Main Building, a commercial structure designed by Alfred Zucker, replaced the original University building on the east side of Washington Square Park.
extent12.5 linear feet
formatsAdministrative Records Correspondence Financial Records Printed Materials Clippings
accessOpen to researchers.
record linkhttp://dlib.nyu.edu/findingaids/html/archives/maccracken.html
record sourcehttp://www.bobcat.nyu.edu:1701/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?fn=display&doc=nyu_aleph002718186&vid=NYU&persistent
finding aidFinding aid available in repository and on the Internet; folder level control.
acquisition informationThe administrative records of Henry Mitchell MacCracken were transferred from the Chancellor's office of New York University to Gould Memorial Library on the University Heights campus following the retirement of MacCracken in 1910. The records, including personal papers of MacCracken, were added to the New York University Historical Collection, which was housed in the Treasurer Room of the library. With the closing of the Heights campus in 1973, the Historical Collection was transferred to the Washington Square campus of the University, where it formed the nucleus of the University Archives.
updated09/12/2019 15:30:09
....................................................................


titleFamily papers, 1863-1905.
repositoryLyndhurst
collection titlePapers include personal letters written to family members by Jay Gould, his wife Mrs. Jay Gould, and their daughters Anna (later Duchesse de Talleyrand-Périgord) and Helen, 1874-1894;

Jay Gould's ledger of family expenses, 1863; Helen Gould's drawing book, including renditions of Lyndhurst, 1883; school notebooks of Anna and Frank Gould; seed catalogs and plant lists of the Lyndhurst greenhouse, 1878-1905; and memorabilia of the Gould family.

Historical/biog note
Gould purchased Lyndhurst in 1880, using it as a summer home and country retreat.
extent4 linear ft.
formatsPersonal Papers Correspondence Financial Records Drawings Ephemera
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://nysl.nysed.gov
finding aidFolder lists.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleAddress book,[18--]
repositoryThe New-York Historical Society
collection titleAddress book

Collection
Mss Collection
Call Number
BV Gould, Jay Non-circulating
extent1 v.
formatsEphemera
accessAccess: open to qualified researchers at The New-York Historical Society; patrons must use microfilm.
record sourcehttp://www.bobcat.nyu.edu
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


title[Scrapbook of newspaper clippings pertaining to the death of Jay Gould, and of information on other Gould family members] : scrapbook, [1892?]-1920.
repositoryThe New-York Historical Society
collection titleArticles clipped from a Delaware County, New York newspaper, and from others.

Mostly death notices of Jay Gould and marriage notices of Anna Gould. Some illustrations, one photograph with transmittal note, laid in.

Has bookplate: The New-York Historical Society Library, presented by Estates of Mrs. Helen M. Gould Shepard and Finley Johnson Shepard, Nov. 6, 1942.

New-York Historical Society Main Collection (F128 HC102.5.G68 S5 1892 Non-circulating)

extent1 v.
formatsScrapbooks
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://www.bobcat.nyu.edu:1701/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?fn=display&doc=nyu_aleph000782039&vid=NYU&persistent
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleJay Gould and the Erie Railway : manuscript, 1893
repositoryThe New-York Historical Society
collection titleMorosini's reminiscences of Jay Gould's time as president of the Erie Railway and a brief account of Gould's Wall Street activities up until Dec. 1885 (preface dated 1893).

Dedicated to Miss helen Miller Gould to assist in her collection of reminiscences about her father.

Historical Note:
Former Auditor of the Erie Railway Company.

Mss Collection
BV Gould, Jay Non-circulating


extent1 v. (30 leaves).
formatsManuscript
accessAccess: open to qualified researchers at The New-York Historical Society; patrons must use microfilm.
record sourcehttp://www.bobcat.nyu.edu:1701/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?fn=display&doc=nyu_aleph001700041&vid=NYU&persistent
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleHelen Miller Gould Shepard papers, 1814-1941.
repositoryThe New-York Historical Society
collection titleCorrespondence, clippings, scrapbooks, certificates, school notebooks, invitations, programs, newsletters, a travel diary, and other ephemera relating to Helen Gould, especially her philanthropic works and family (ca. 1814-1941).

Correspondence includes both letters to family as well as letters concerning her abundant charitable works, including Woody Crest, a fresh air charity and home for physically handicapped children, and documents her benevolence to soldiers during the Spanish-American War. Frequent correspondents include family members, Mrs. Russell Sage, and many well-known people of the day.

Many letters and memorials express gratitude for her philanthropic efforts. Also included are correspondence and papers regarding her involvement with and sizable donations to New York University and the Young Men’s Christian Society; numerous certificates of membership and gratitude for philanthropic works; copies of "Passages to Memorize: Suggested by Helen Gould," a tract published by Helen Miller Gould; a scrapbook of clippings regarding her Congressional commendation received as a gift from Congressman Joseph Wheeler; six school notebooks from Miss Jaudon's School, New York City; sketchbooks and a diary kept of her trip to Europe and Egypt, traveling on the Gould yacht "Atalanta" (Oct. 1877-Feb. 1888).

Historical Note:
Eldest daughter of financier Jay Gould, New York City; she inherited the family's summer estate Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, New York

Notes:
Shepard, Helen Miller Gould, 1868-1938. Passages to memorize, suggested by Helen Gould.

Mss Collection
MS 1422, Helen Miller Gould Shepard papers


extent4.5 linear feet
formatsCorrespondence Writings Ephemera Scrapbooks Printed Materials
accessOpen to qualified researchers
record linkhttp://dlib.nyu.edu/findingaids/html/nyhs/gould.html
record sourcehttp://www.bobcat.nyu.edu:1701/primo_library/libweb/action/display.do?fn=display&doc=nyu_aleph001698866&vid=NYU&persistent
finding aidFinding aid available online and in repository. Card catalog available in repository.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleMorton, Bliss & Company Records, 1876-1899.
repositoryThe New-York Historical Society
collection titleLedgers, 1884-1899, of the New York City financial firm of Morton, Bliss & Company; and letterbooks, 1876 Mar.-1895 Jan., of Levi Parsons Morton's business partner George Bliss; principally written by him as a representative of the firm.

Letterpress books contain copies of letters pertaining to such matters as the buying and selling of stocks and bonds, the financing and reorganization of railroads in the United States and Canada, government funding operations, speculation, investments, government economic policies, international finance, management of various corporations, agreements with other financiers, the behavior of other businessmen, politics, financing of mines, and routine business and personal matters; 14 volumes, indexed.

Company ledgers record extensive individual accounts with individual and firms in the United States and abroad. Records include material pertaining to such individuals as August Belmont, Edward C. Billings, Theodore Bliss, Simeon Baldwin Chittenden, Jay Gould, P. D. P. Grenfell, Collis Potter Huntington, Junius Morgan, Thomas H. Perkins, Edward Reilly, C[harles] B[roadway] Rouss, the Rothschilds, Jesse Seligman, Alexander Williams, and many others.

Bio/History:
Private investment banking firm of partners George Bliss and Levi Parsons Morton founded in New York City in 1869.

Location
New-York Historical Society

Collection
Mss Collection

Call Number
BV Morton, Bliss & Co.
extent20 v.
formatsBusiness Papers Financial Papers Photograph Album
accessAccess: open to qualified researchers at The New-York Historical Society
record sourcehttp://www.bobcat.nyu.edu
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleLord and Burnham Company (Irvington, N.Y.) Records, [ca. 1881-1954]
repositoryThe New York Botanical Garden
collection titleThe bulk of these records consists of architectural drawings, plans and details of greenhouses and conservatories including some plans of their heating systems, 1881-1954.

Drawings of related structures include solariums, aviaries, studios for artists and film makers, sewerage system sludge beds, and some landscape designs are included.

The company's major clients were estate owners in the lower Hudson River Valley and included Jay Gould, but clients were also located in many states and some foreign countries.

Included are the New York Botanical Garden, Enid A. Haupt Conservatory, the Palm House at Kew Gardens (England), and the conservatory at Belle Isle, Detroit.

Business records include correspondence, 1881-1928 (incomplete), daybooks, journals, cashbooks, sales ledgers, time books pay books, purchase ledgers, ca.1881-1930, and greenhouse and conservatory advertising illustrations, ca.1913-1954.

In addition to the records of Lord and Burnham, this collection includes records of Hitchings and Company, the William H. Lutton Company, and the Pierson U Bar Company (earlier known as the Pierson Sefton Company) which were affiliated with or bought out by Lord and Burnham. Prominent correspondents include John Jacob Astor, Liberty Hyde Bailey, W. Bayard Cutting, H.M. Flagler, Frederick Law Olmsted, and William Rockefeller.

Historical/biog note
Lord's Horticultural Manufacturing Company was founded in 1856 by Frederick A. Lord. In 1890 its name was changed to Lord & Burnham Company. Based in Irvington, N.Y. it is one of the oldest extant manufacturers of greenhouses and other glass enclosures. Earliest records of the firm were destroyed by fire in 1880.
extentca. 62 linear ft, ca. 1500 folios architectural drawings.
formatsBusiness Papers Drawings Correspondence Financial Records Ephemera
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://nysl.nysed.gov/
finding aidLists of folios of drawings, and indexes to client names, locations, and structures by style and size.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titlePhotograph collection, [ca. 1864-1960]
repositoryLyndhurst
collection titlePhotoprints and a few glass plate negatives, ca. 1864-1960, of the house and grounds at Lyndhurst, the Merritt family, the Gould family and friends, other properties of the Gould family, philanthropic activities at Lyndhurst, and Lyndhurst employees.

Included among the house and grounds photographs are a series of photoprints, ca. 1870-1873, taken by Rogers, a professional photographer in Tarrytown, N.Y.

Postcards of the Gould family from a European trip, 1906-1907, French properties owned by the Duchesse de Talleyrand (Anna Gould), Jay Gould's travel and museum postcards, and others of Lyndhurst.

Historical/biog note
Lyndhurst is a Gothic Revival mansion designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1838 for William Paulding. It was subsequently owned by George Merritt and Jay Gould. In 1964 the 67-acre estate passed to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
formatsPhotographs
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://nysl.nysed.gov/
finding aidItem list of albums. Subject guide for photoprints.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleProperty documents, 1785-1942.
repositoryLyndhurst
collection titleProperty deeds and abstracts concerning the land that comprises the property at Lyndhurst, 1785-1942; and deeds, letters, and other papers, 1871-1914, relating to property of the Gould family in Greenburgh, N.Y., that is not part of Lyndhurst.

Historical/biog note
Lyndhurst is a Gothic Revival mansion designed by Alexander Jackson Davis in 1838 for William Paulding. It was subsequently owned by George Merritt and Jay Gould. In 1964 the 67-acre estate passed to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
extent2.5 linear ft.
formatsLegal Papers
accessContact repository for restrictions and policies.
record sourcehttp://nysl.nysed.gov/
finding aidFolder lists.
updated11/12/2014 11:30:13
....................................................................


titleM. Knoedler & Co. records, approximately 1848-1971
repositoryThe Getty Research Institute
collection titleThe records of M. Knoedler & Co. document the business of the prominent American art dealer from the mid-19th century to 1971, when the Knoedler Gallery was acquired by Armand Hammer. The archive traces the development of the once provincial American art market into one of the world's leading art centers and the formation of the private art collections that would ultimately establish many of the nation's leading art museums, such as the Frick Collection and the National Gallery of Art.

It brings to the foreground the business side of dealing as artworks shuttled back and forth among Knoedler, fellow dealers, and collectors, documenting developments in art connoisseurship, shifting tastes, the changing role of art in American society, and the essential role of private collectors in the formation of public American art collections.

The records provide insight into broader economic, social and cultural histories and the nation's evolving sense of place in the world. The Knoedler Gallery became one of the main suppliers of old master and post-Impressionist paintings in the United States. Financial records of the firm provide crucial provenance information on the large number of artworks in American museums that were sold by the gallery. The archive includes stock books, sales books and commission books; correspondence with collectors, artists, art dealers and other associates; photographs of the artworks sold by the gallery; records from the firm's offices in London, Paris and other cities; exhibition files; framing and restoration records, and records of the firm's Print Department.

Selected portions of the archive have been digitized and made available online. Connect to selected digitized portions of the archive.

Arranged in 14 series:
Series I. Stock books;
Series II. Sales books;
Series III. Commission books;
Series IV. Inventory cards;
Series V. Receiving and shipping records;
Series VI. Correspondence;
Series VII. Photographs;
Series VIII. Exhibition files;
Series IX. American Department records;
Series X. Framing and restoration records;
Series XI. Print Department records;
Series XII. Other financial records;
Series XIII. Library cards, scrapbooks, and research materials;
Series XIV. Knoedler family papers


Biographical/Historical Note:
M. Knoedler & Co. was a successor to the New York branch of Goupil & Co., an extremely dynamic print-publishing house founded in Paris in 1827. Goupil's branches in London, Berlin, Brussels, and The Hague, as well as New York, expanded the firm's market in the sale of reproductive prints.

The firm's office in New York was established in 1848. In 1857, Michael Knoedler, an employee of Goupil and a manager for the firm, bought out the interests in the firm's New York branch, conducted the business under his own name, and diversified its activities to include the sale of paintings. Roland Knoedler, Michael's son, took over the firm in 1878 and with Charles Carstairs opened galleries in Paris and London.

In 1928, the management of the firm passed to Roland's nephew Charles Henschel, Carman Messmore, Charles Carstairs and Carstairs' son Carroll. In 1956 Henschel died, and E. Coe Kerr and Roland Balaÿ, Michael Knoedler's grandson, took over. In 1971 the firm was sold to businessman and collector Armand Hammer. The gallery closed in November 2011.

extent3042.6 linear feet (5550 boxes, 17 flat file folders).
formatsAuction Catalogs Business Records Correspondence Financial Records Ephemera
accessOpen for use by qualified researchers, with the following exceptions. Boxes 77, 262-264, 1308-1512, 1969-1974, 3592-3723 are restricted due to fragility. Box 4468 is restricted until 2075.
record linkhttp://hdl.handle.net/10020/cifa2012m54
record sourcehttp://primo.getty.edu/GRI:GETTY_ALMA21129976460001551
contact informationContact gallery's archivist
finding aidAt the Getty Research Institute and over their website.
acquisition informationAcquired in 2012.
updated05/29/2018 14:44:15
....................................................................